Coil Tap on Custom 22?

P90s

Is it possible to add a coil tap on a Custom 22 that's got the 5-way selector? That would add the single-coil option for the neck and bridge pick-ups. Anybody know?

I have wondered this myself. You may be able to route the coil split wires through a push/pull switch on their way to the blade.That's the idea, anyway. I know enough to be dangerous, but not enough to know if something will work without experimenting or consulting someone more expert. If it does work, you'd have:

Push/pull down (regular positions)
  • Position 1: (down) Bridge Humbucker
  • Position 2: Bridge Humbucker with Neck Singlecoil
  • Position 3: Bridge and Neck Humbuckers
  • Position 4: Neck Singlecoil with Bridge Singlecoil
  • Position 5: (up) Neck Humbucker

Push/pull up would be:
  • Position 1: (down) Bridge Singlecoil
  • Position 2: Bridge Singlecoil with Neck Singlecoil
  • Position 3: Bridge and Neck Singlecoils
  • Position 5: (up) Neck Singlecoil
Positions 2-4 would all be both singles, but you'd get the two extra options of split bridge or split neck.

I have wondered this myself. You may be able to route the coil split wires through a push/pull switch on their way to the blade.That's the idea, anyway. I know enough to be dangerous, but not enough to know if something will work without experimenting or consulting someone more expert. If it does work, you'd have:

Push/pull down (regular positions)
  • Position 1: (down) Bridge Humbucker
  • Position 2: Bridge Humbucker with Neck Singlecoil
  • Position 3: Bridge and Neck Humbuckers
  • Position 5: (up) Neck Humbucker

Push/pull up would be:
  • Position 1: (down) Bridge Singlecoil
  • Position 2: Bridge Singlecoil with Neck Singlecoil
  • Position 3: Bridge and Neck Singlecoils
  • Position 5: (up) Neck Singlecoil
Positions 2-4 would all be both singles, but you'd get the two extra options of split bridge or split neck.
I know I've definitely heard of this being done, but I'm not nearly smart enough to try it myself. Hopefully, someone smarter than me can chime in with a schematic or diagram or something.

You could always do it this way too!

20160812_093616_zpstxejggrv.jpg

Okay, I just thought of another idea using a super switch (or maybe the PRS switch) and a push/pull. This would use the blade to split the neck pickup and the push/pull to split the bridge. It will get you all 8 sounds and I think it's a logical setup.

Push/pull down:
Bridge humbucker
Bridge humbucker + Neck single
Bridge humbucker + Neck humbucker
Neck single
Neck humbucker

Push/pull up:
Bridge single
Bridge single + Neck single
Bridge single + Neck humbucker

Neck single
Neck humbucker

Isn't the PTC mod for 5 way blade? I would think it could work with rotary but I'm no expert.

Back