Coil Splitting a Hollowbody II Piezo

ironham

Hi y'all,

Is it still true that there's not enough room to add a push/pull toggle in a HBII Piezo? I ran across an old thread, but all of the links with specifics and describing the process are broken.

If that's still the case, what's the charge to do this mod?

Somebody who has done it will chime in, but my recollection is that there is enough clearance on the volume pot for a push/pull, but not on the tone pot. Possibly/maybe there is enough for a mini pot on the tone side...

The other option, which I really like is using the mini toggle position for a coil split. This only makes sense if you use the separate outs for the mag and piezo pups.

I have added a push/pull tone to a HBII. It *barely* fits and I added some electrical tape insulation on the chassis for safety. The other option is mini toggles added which isn’t too expensive from PTC in and of itself, but you’ll need new pickups since the stock ones are single wire. For what it’s worth I ended up ripping out the tone pot and adding mini toggles.

I think this may just be worth going through the PTC. Got quoted from PTC, it’s not an unreasonable ask. For anyone that sees this and is wondering for the future: $700

I have an SE HB Piezo. I was told by PTC it’s essentially the same setup as the core models, just a little more simple (no toggle switch.) The piezo PCB is under the tone pot, but there is room under the volume pot for a push-pull. Depending on how you configure your coil split it may be possible (like, having both coils drop out on a single switch.)

Since mine is imported I have smaller pots, so I have to take some measurements and possibly order a reamer before I start mine. Hopefully soon - may toggle switch went bad so it seems like a good idea to swap pups, change the switch, and install a new knob.

I read up a little more on this. Putting a push-pull where the normal volume pots are is a bit too close to the F-holes. There is some concern about the wood flexing and possibly cracking, and I think that’s a valid concern.

So on my SE I’m swapping locations between the Piezo pot and the tone pot, and will put a push-pull tone pot. It fits.

I know this thread is for the core model - sorry for the SE info, it’s all I’ve got.

My thread is here:
https://forums.prsguitars.com/threads/se-hollowbody-piezo-electronics-wiring-thread.47423/

Has anybody looked at using the Seymour Duncan TS-1 rings? They seem like a really cool product that would be an ideal solution here. They are mounting rings for humbuckers that have two little switches on each ring. Depending on the positions of the two little switches, the humbuckers can be run in series, parallel, or you can choose between which coil you want turned on. I’m wondering if these rings will fit a PRS HB2. I just ordered a PRS HB2 Piezo SE that won’t ship until July, but I’m already looking into how I can upgrade it. Any thoughts here?

Mine is setup with a mini toggle like PRS does to their core models (the guitar I mentioned above was replaced.) It’s perfect and I wouldn't change a thing. I went simple and just have 1 switch to tap both pickups. 3 HB tones, 3 single coil tones, plus piezo is plenty for me.

I thought about the TS-1 rings but ergonomically it just seems less than ideal. Plus the mounting holes wouldn't line up Most likely. But it’s my opinion, if you like the idea then run with it!

Thanks for your input. I didn’t think about the mounting holes. I was looking into the rings a little more and there is a different model. Same exact thing except designed for a contour top. They seem to be aimed at Les Pauls. They are the Triple Shot TS-2 model. The Triple Shot TS-1 model is apparently designed for guitars with a flat top style body. The more I think about it, I feel like I should leave my PRS alone, or ask them to do the work. I’m super excited for my HB2 Piezo. Even though it’s an SE model, it will be my nicest guitar I’ve ever owned, by far. I work at a guitar store earning minimum wage and it took some pretty serious sacrifice to be able to afford the guitar. But I think I made the right choice when I chose PRS.

Has anybody looked at using the Seymour Duncan TS-1 rings? They seem like a really cool product that would be an ideal solution here. They are mounting rings for humbuckers that have two little switches on each ring. Depending on the positions of the two little switches, the humbuckers can be run in series, parallel, or you can choose between which coil you want turned on. I’m wondering if these rings will fit a PRS HB2. I just ordered a PRS HB2 Piezo SE that won’t ship until July, but I’m already looking into how I can upgrade it. Any thoughts here?
This was actually my first PRS model. It's a great guitar, and I still play it a lot. I'd say wait until it arrives, then spend some serious time playing, finding the best amp settings, and don't forget about adjusting pickup heights too. You might find you're very happy with what you can get, and no need to look into spiltting. And if not, you can always do mods at that point

@TugBoat you made a good choice. I always said I couldn’t justify a Core hollowbody, but the SE HB is the guitar that put me on the path to changing that. It inspires me to play more, and to play better.

The pickups on the SE HB are a very good match for the guitar. And not every pickup sounds good tapped. I’ve tapped pickups before and was never really satisfied until I got the 57/08s.

This was actually my first PRS model. It's a great guitar, and I still play it a lot. I'd say wait until it arrives, then spend some serious time playing, finding the best amp settings, and don't forget about adjusting pickup heights too. You might find you're very happy with what you can get, and no need to look into spiltting. And if not, you can always do mods at that point
Great advice. I always get ahead of myself and I want to fiddle with things before even giving them a chance. I need to slow down and just enjoy the guitar the way Paul and co. built it. Thanks for the reply.

@TugBoat you made a good choice. I always said I couldn’t justify a Core hollowbody, but the SE HB is the guitar that put me on the path to changing that. It inspires me to play more, and to play better.

The pickups on the SE HB are a very good match for the guitar. And not every pickup sounds good tapped. I’ve tapped pickups before and was never really satisfied until I got the 57/08s.
Thanks for sharing your opinion on the pickups in the HB2P. I appreciate your contribution but I must say I don’t appreciate you staring at my f holes. (LOL! Best name on this forum)

Back