coil split help

tonytester

PIC YOUR STRINGS WISELY
I picked up an S2 semi hollow single cut with coil splits on the tone controls. when i activate the coil split my ears hear no difference . ive tried all levels of volume and the whole range of the tone controls and i' m not impressed am I missing something.
thanks

Is it possible that the original owner replace the pickups with non-split versions?

fbeqkw.png

that's the default S2 SC wiring, the splits are the green/white wires to the push/pulls series connection (in pic the top one goes to RH terminal, bottom one to LH terminal of tone pot); red is hit, black n bare is ground ans shield;and in foreground is the bridge ground wire to back of pot

-info thanks to garrett as usual ;)

thats the S2 mira default wiring, think its same for other S2 22 models with a 3 way and 1xvol 1xtone

the wire coming in from the top right is the bridge pickup wire, with series coil tap green/white going to RH terminal on tone pot - (not the lowest row of lugs on the pot, it looks that way from the photo but it goes to the terminal above where that black wire is soldered - so the taps are soldered to the row of lugs beneath where the resistors are connected); the hot red wire goes to the 2nd terminal on the 3 way, from the left in photo.
The neck tap goes to middle lug (same row as described above) and red hot goes to the second terminal from RH side in photo on the other side of the 3 way wafer. As you can see I don't know the terminal numbers, just monkey it from the original photos

Last edited:
My wiring matches the schematic sent from Matt at PRS. I do hear a subtle change in output when they are activated as single coil.
I actually tapped the poles where available to verify which coil was active.
I expected more of a variety of tones.

I thank all of you who replied and spent your time helping me figure this out.

My wiring matches the schematic sent from Matt at PRS. I do hear a subtle change in output when they are activated as single coil.
I actually tapped the poles where available to verify which coil was active.
I expected more of a variety of tones.

I thank all of you who replied and spent your time helping me figure this out.

I noticed with the S2 #7 pickups it was more like a mid cut. I actually liked the sound of them split better than full humbucking, but they just sounded like a cleaner humbucker and not like a single coil.

Part of it is the resistor wiring, but I had put Thornbuckers in mine and the split neck pickup was very Stratty, so it's also the pickups.

I was in middle of changing out mine, and i never can remember. Search on wiring and garrett will have a post you need :)

I thought they had perhaps reconnected your splits to the lowest lugs in error, that would isolate the pull

Back