Cobalt Strings

]-[@n$0Ma☩!©

Zombie Zero, DFZ
Who's using them? What is your impression?

From the EB Literature:
"Engineered to maximize output and clarity, Ernie Ball Cobalt Slinky Guitar Strings are the latest innovation in string technology. Seeking to provide guitarists and bassists with a new voice, Cobalt strings provide an extended dynamic range, incredible harmonic response, increased low end, and crisp, clear highs.

Cobalt provides a stronger magnetic relationship between pickups and strings than any other alloy previously available. Cobalt Slinkys are also soft and silky to the touch, making string bending a breeze."

Last edited:
I had them on my stripper for quite awhile. Like the tone a lot. They seemed loud and alive. They feel a kinda weird, not as smooth as "regular" strings. They seemed to last a long time. In the end, I can't see using them on many of my guitars because I change strings frequently on guitars I gig with. But maybe on some guitars I keep around the house.

I put them on my jazzbox and I noticed them being clearer and louder, but I also picked a heavier gauge, so I can't really make any definitive conclusions. I will put some of my Custom 22 soon, so I can really see what the difference is...

I have them on all my guitars right now. Much fuller tone and louder. Not sure how long they last because I'm still on the first sets. They do feel different and as Slash said, "buttery." My wife says they bend easier. She was using 9s so she could bend and switched to 10s with the Cobalts.

They went on both my Cu24 and SE One immediately after their release. Gigged them both for about a month. Initial thoughts: instantly noticeable power difference...like raising the pup a couple of screw turns. The feel is different. Not 'bad' different, just different. Seemed to polish my calluses almost to a shine. I wouldn't call them brighter, but with more presence. A bit of slitting hairs there, but for the same reason I tweak presence instead of treble, sometimes...if that makes sense. Cobalts don't seem to age, even after a month of gigging and daily playing. No apparent crap accumulation, discoloration or rusting - even if I don't wipe them down after a hard gig. Over all...these are fantastic strings! The freakin' rock with the P-90.

Then I got complacent and wondered if I imagined some/most of the differences. Off went the Cobalts and back on went the D'Addario 10s on the One and 9s on the Cu24. Instant disappointment. Sounded flatter, weaker. Not wanting to waste a new set of strings, I giged them once but had to put Cobalts back on immediately. I'm hooked.

My skepticism was washed away with genuine results. The power 'thing' is real. Bolder, more powerful but not adversely so. The feel is not a biggie once you get used to it. And the life of these strings is unsurpassed, IMO. If the price comes down to 2x the price of normal strings, they will become a household name. But even at 3x premium, they are a justified upgrade that I would endorse. In fact, EB, I use both 9s and 10s. PM me for my mailing address. :p

I just picked up a set. Now I need to decide where to try them 1st.

2011 Siggy, BRW McCarty w/ 57/08's, SAS w/ 53/10's, SCT ME w/ 59/09's, or Westy w/ uncovered 59/09's?

What Boogie said...
I put them on my Mira and instantly noticed a nice improvement in feel and presence.
Now I'm going to put them on my 305 and the SE ONE as well. I've heard some people find a larger improvement on humbuckers than single coils. We shall see...

Just found a store that had the gauge I was looking for (12's) and look forward to putting them on my McCarty Hollowbody. I was shocked at how insistent the employees were that these were skinny top heavy bottom strings. Big difference.

Just found a store that had the gauge I was looking for (12's) and look forward to putting them on my McCarty Hollowbody. I was shocked at how insistent the employees were that these were skinny top heavy bottom strings. Big difference.
Tonally or literally (string guage).

Tonally or literally (string guage).

I wouldn't characterize Cobalts as tonally skinny top/heavy bottom at all. In fact, I had a hybrid set that I didn't like on my One. Went back to straight 10s.

Is Ernie Ball the only one making them?
They're the only one's I've seen. So far...

13270013695.jpg

Last edited:
ClearTone makes a claim that they are louder as well...haven't used them personally, but anyone compare them?

Here are the different versions of Cobalt strings from EB. I was surprised to see so many options.

Extra Slinky
13270870042725.png

Super Slinky
13275975832723.png

Hybrid Slinky
13270874562722.png

Regular Slinky
13270873382721.png

Skinny Top Heavy Bottom Slinky
13270871922715.png

Beefy Slinky
1333042089P02727.png

Power Slinky
13270875512720.png

Not Even Slinky (for drop tuning)
13270878602726.png

And there is a series for us Bass Player's too,
13270914942736.png

Last edited:
I'm using the regulars. I agree with a previous post that the tone difference is more noticable on humbuckers. Don't know that I would put them on the strat again because of the added cost.

Back