Clutter

I recently discovered that our 'box room' had everything in it except for a box to ship the amp is just sold on Reverb...

I've taken several boxes of books to a seniors residence.

This. We've taken several boxes of video tapes and books to the rec room at the hospital where my wife has had most of her surgeries. Her father was in there she said the selection in their rec/rehab room for the longer-term patients was not great.

Much better than taking them to sell.

I was there a few years back and had the same "epiphany" that you had. Slow and steady wins the race. I started asking myself why I was keeping things. If I'd ever use them again. I'm in a better place today. Most of the clutter/junk is gone. Even things that weren't clutter went. Two thousand CDs take up a lot of room. It all went on the PC, and more than one back up drive. The CDs went to Disc Replay, and funded a used Studio.

Now, if I could only get the Mrs to buy in. I'm getting smothered by her stuff!

Just a reminder to y'all hoarders with kids... My mom passed away this spring and left me with her sh!t. It cost me over $1700 just to throw her crap away. Salvation Army and the like are super picky about what they'll even consider taking now, so it's not like the free garbage dump it may have used to have been.... a side effect of our disposable culture, perhaps.

But by all means, if you hate your kids, or perhaps they have a fragile marriage that you wanna push over the edge... keep stacking your sh!t to the ceilings.

Just a reminder to y'all hoarders with kids... My mom passed away this spring and left me with her sh!t. It cost me over $1700 just to throw her crap away. Salvation Army and the like are super picky about what they'll even consider taking now, so it's not like the free garbage dump it may have used to have been.... a side effect of our disposable culture, perhaps.

But by all means, if you hate your kids, or perhaps they have a fragile marriage that you wanna push over the edge... keep stacking your sh!t to the ceilings.

My buddy's dad died a few years back. Huge hoarder. Jeff found a canoe paddle in the basement. His dad never owned a canoe. He found a console from an old car, with his dad's old wallet with some money - no ID or credit cards, just money.

My father-in-law was a big train guy - tons of model trains. He sold at shows, too. It's been almost three years - we're still selling stuff. Or trying. Part of the problem was that he never wanted to take less than he paid, so my mother-in-law doesn't want to do that, either. I took a panoramic shot in their basement when we started this after he died - there were places where you couldn't see the wall opposite. It's getting better, but taking forever.

After my buddy's stories, I told him I wanted to put a note in one of my books that said, "There is $xxxxx in Book X as of xx/xx/xx" and have several amounts and dates on it. Book X would be a book I've never owned. You know, because I'm a great dad!

On a more serious note, my father-in-law always hid money so he'd have cash on hand. The problem is, he never told anyone where it was. So when he suddenly took ill and became unresponsive overnight, he died without telling anyone where the money was. Even worse, he apparently bragged to a couple of his train buddies about how much he had - I think it was just a case of them trying to top each other, not an accurate accounting, but the problem is my mother-in-law has no idea because he didn't tell her. So, if you do that, be sure someone knows. Don't get me wrong - I have my guitar stash, and my wife doesn't know the amount (neither do I), but she knows where it is and she can get to it. Have a stash - just make sure your loved ones know where it is.

My buddy's dad died a few years back. Huge hoarder. Jeff found a canoe paddle in the basement. His dad never owned a canoe. He found a console from an old car, with his dad's old wallet with some money - no ID or credit cards, just money.

My father-in-law was a big train guy - tons of model trains. He sold at shows, too. It's been almost three years - we're still selling stuff. Or trying. Part of the problem was that he never wanted to take less than he paid, so my mother-in-law doesn't want to do that, either. I took a panoramic shot in their basement when we started this after he died - there were places where you couldn't see the wall opposite. It's getting better, but taking forever.

After my buddy's stories, I told him I wanted to put a note in one of my books that said, "There is $xxxxx in Book X as of xx/xx/xx" and have several amounts and dates on it. Book X would be a book I've never owned. You know, because I'm a great dad!

On a more serious note, my father-in-law always hid money so he'd have cash on hand. The problem is, he never told anyone where it was. So when he suddenly took ill and became unresponsive overnight, he died without telling anyone where the money was. Even worse, he apparently bragged to a couple of his train buddies about how much he had - I think it was just a case of them trying to top each other, not an accurate accounting, but the problem is my mother-in-law has no idea because he didn't tell her. So, if you do that, be sure someone knows. Don't get me wrong - I have my guitar stash, and my wife doesn't know the amount (neither do I), but she knows where it is and she can get to it. Have a stash - just make sure your loved ones know where it is.

Ha! Yeah, we had three canoe paddles... no canoe either.

You brought up another good point. It can take years off of your loved ones life just getting rid of your sh!t. If you try and sell it... f@ck... Hope you enjoy your new part-time job. My buddy's dad died..maybe ten years ago? He was a huge collector of, shall we say... "Militaria" I guess would be what you could call it... Dude spent seven years of cold sweats, gun shows, eBaying, and more ridding himself of that stuff. I mean, he grew up around it but, as a way of youthful rebellion he devoted his life to pacifist spiritual pursuits and then basically had to become a gun dealer for seven years. F@ck that! And I helped him catalog all that stuff too.

I now know more about web gear, bayonets, military service manuals, can tell the difference between a ..30 cal. and a .50 cal. cleaning rod, etc. etc..and what that sh!t sells for... and I can still smell Cosmoline (which sounds like it'd be a cool fruity drink or makeup.. you know, something I'd like, but.. no.) every time I get in his truck.

Helping him go through that made me start to clear out my mom's crib before she died, for four years, and it practically ruined my relationship and my life.. and I still had to spend... IDK.. from Good Friday to this very day still tossing sh!t and wading through garbage paper stuff on the oft chance I'd find something of value (total amount of money found in house so far $144 and change).

My dudes, get your sh!t together! Hoarding is a form of mental illness, for real. I mean, keep your guitars and amps and stuff but... boxes? C'mon.

Story time. The three parents still alive did the following:

1 - gave small memorabilia to family members about 8 years ago. For example one of my daughters got a functional cannon about a foot long. Sold off a very nice collection built up over about forty years and bought a trailer to park someplace warm.

2 - never really accumulated a lot, but one note worthy collection is stored in a sister's basement for me to deal with at some unknown date in the future.

3 - kept everything and remembers who gifted what. The original purchaser is being given stuff back and it is now their problem. Other stuff made too many trips to count to various charities and dumpsters. A bunch more found it's way to my house for safe keeping and another bunch is sitting in a locker.

Last edited:
Canoe paddles are great for whacking the dust out of rugs.

So, any idea what the propeller was for? Jeff still hasn't figured that one out.

You brought up another good point. It can take years off of your loved ones life just getting rid of your sh!t. If you try and sell it... f@ck... Hope you enjoy your new part-time job. My buddy's dad died..maybe ten years ago? He was a huge collector of, shall we say... "Militaria" I guess would be what you could call it... Dude spent seven years of cold sweats, gun shows, eBaying, and more ridding himself of that stuff. I mean, he grew up around it but, as a way of youthful rebellion he devoted his life to pacifist spiritual pursuits and then basically had to become a gun dealer for seven years. F@ck that! And I helped him catalog all that stuff too.

I now know more about web gear, bayonets, military service manuals, can tell the difference between a ..30 cal. and a .50 cal. cleaning rod, etc. etc..and what that sh!t sells for... and I can still smell Cosmoline (which sounds like it'd be a cool fruity drink or makeup.. you know, something I'd like, but.. no.) every time I get in his truck.

Helping him go through that made me start to clear out my mom's crib before she died, for four years, and it practically ruined my relationship and my life.. and I still had to spend... IDK.. from Good Friday to this very day still tossing sh!t and wading through garbage paper stuff on the oft chance I'd find something of value (total amount of money found in house so far $144 and change).

My dudes, get your sh!t together! Hoarding is a form of mental illness, for real. I mean, keep your guitars and amps and stuff but... boxes? C'mon.

After the first show, my wife came home and said there was another woman there who was selling off her late husband's collection - for five years, I think. My wife said, "I don't even want to be doing this in three." And here we are. My kids helped with the first few, then they got frustrated because a) nothing much really sold, so they were loading and unloading the same stuff over and over; and b) my MIL has a very hard time coming down from the prices that my FIL had on stuff. Not to mention that she's got train friends telling her "that's worth more than this guy is offering" - but not offering more. We think she's finally going to move to selling stuff through a third-party who will put it online (we were adamant that our kids were not going to do that).

My mother, on the other hand, has been allegedly cleaning things out since my grandmother died 10 years ago. She'll dump a bunch of stuff saying she doesn't need it - then buy some stuff just like it. The best was when my dad retired - he called me and my brother-in-law to come up because "I'm getting rid of a bunch of these tools I'm not going to need anymore, so you guys might as well take what you need". So we went up and went through stuff. It went - seriously - like this:

Me: I could use one of these.

Dad: I'm not getting rid of that.

BIL: I've been looking for one of these.

Dad: I'm not getting rid of that, either.

Five minutes later...

Dad: Nope, not getting rid of that yet.

Me: So what exactly can we pick from? Seems like that might be quicker.

Now, though, he is starting to dump stuff - old parts and stuff that, at 80, he's finally figuring he won't need.

Shortly after my grandmother died, I was in my mother's kitchen with her and my aunt, and my mother said, "When it's time, I don't want you kids to do what I'm doing. Just bring in one of those estate sales companies and let them handle it." I said, "What makes you think I'm not going to just drop a match on the way out?" My aunt laughed, my mother just looked at me. My wife said she's not sure where my sense of humor came from, but she's pretty sure where it didn't originate.

My MIL and FIL grew up during the Depression. They got married in '46 and had 7 kids. Everything got handed down/recycled. They died within 3 months of each other in 2003. Their kids loaded up 4 of the biggest dumpsters you can have dropped off with stuff.

My wife was pretty clutter free before then. Since then, she's become more and more like her mom. Saves everything. Not sure why. We have no kids to give it to, and most of it is never going to get used again.

My dad died in '85. But he wasn't much of a keeper of things, even though he was born in 1921, and also lived through the Depression. He kept what was needed, and practical, nothing more. Mom sold the house in 2005 and moved into a one bedroom apartment in a Senior Housing complex. I was thankful that was all my sister and I had to deal with when she died in 2010. Moving into that apartment forced her to deal with everything that wouldn't fit. She sold a lot of stuff, and pitched a lot. Bottom line, it's never fun.

Last edited:
Are you sure?

All your stuff is above my (well, my husband's) pay grade, and your wife definitely knows what they're worth! :p

So, any idea what the propeller was for? Jeff still hasn't figured that one out.

After the first show, my wife came home and said there was another woman there who was selling off her late husband's collection - for five years, I think. My wife said, "I don't even want to be doing this in three." And here we are. My kids helped with the first few, then they got frustrated because a) nothing much really sold, so they were loading and unloading the same stuff over and over; and b) my MIL has a very hard time coming down from the prices that my FIL had on stuff. Not to mention that she's got train friends telling her "that's worth more than this guy is offering" - but not offering more. We think she's finally going to move to selling stuff through a third-party who will put it online (we were adamant that our kids were not going to do that).

My mother, on the other hand, has been allegedly cleaning things out since my grandmother died 10 years ago. She'll dump a bunch of stuff saying she doesn't need it - then buy some stuff just like it. The best was when my dad retired - he called me and my brother-in-law to come up because "I'm getting rid of a bunch of these tools I'm not going to need anymore, so you guys might as well take what you need". So we went up and went through stuff. It went - seriously - like this:

Me: I could use one of these.

Dad: I'm not getting rid of that.

BIL: I've been looking for one of these.

Dad: I'm not getting rid of that, either.

Five minutes later...

Dad: Nope, not getting rid of that yet.

Me: So what exactly can we pick from? Seems like that might be quicker.

Now, though, he is starting to dump stuff - old parts and stuff that, at 80, he's finally figuring he won't need.

Shortly after my grandmother died, I was in my mother's kitchen with her and my aunt, and my mother said, "When it's time, I don't want you kids to do what I'm doing. Just bring in one of those estate sales companies and let them handle it." I said, "What makes you think I'm not going to just drop a match on the way out?" My aunt laughed, my mother just looked at me. My wife said she's not sure where my sense of humor came from, but she's pretty sure where it didn't originate.

And who wants to be going to model train shows every weekend? Or month for that matter... I found a bunch of train stuff my sister and I had as kids, lots of "Spirt of '76" stuff and some B&O crap... looked it up on eBay... trash. Same goes for my Commodore 64 still in boxes: trash.

My buddy with the military stuff said something that stuck with me: "If it ain't worth at least a $100, it's not worth my time." I thought he was crazy at first, cause, you know, that stuff adds up. After the second year of helping him out, I wanted to burn everything. The thing is; if it's not your culture or something that interests you it's really hard to keep going and trying to sell the stuff.

Selling the crap on eBay is infuriating too.. You're buying/finding/making boxes and labels, going to buy tape, going to the post office for hours, answering emails, dealing with returns... It got so bad we started joking about starting a YouTube channel series called: "I Hate Your Culture" where we'd film us burning and blowing up rare toys and nazi memorabilia, just to get rid of the stuff and bum collectors out rather than have to hang out with those goons. :D

When my father moved to Florida he did the same thing with tools... Called me over and wanted to keep all the good stuff. He did give me the jackhammer, a tool I've loathed but borrowed throughout the years. I kick it with my toe every time I walk through the garage. :mad:

Live in Hawaii as an OCD person and you will go insane. Garages are only for the rich, carports in homes are the norm. Houses are tiny in most cases by mainland standards and there is no room for much of anything. I've rented and decried having a storage unit for the entire 20 yrs. I've been here. SHE won't relent, SHE is Hawaiian, and THEY don't throw out anything.. it's maddening.

Have been going through the same process lately!

It's very tough to declutter sometimes, stuff has sentimental or "future" value (you might use/sell it one day).

What has helped me is a couple of thoughts:

-Does the thing bring you joy? If not, remove it from your life
-Do you own the stuff, or does the stuff own you? Stuff costs you in storage space, everytime you move it, or even every time you look at it and wonder if you really need it. Is that cost worth it?

I've just got motivation to go and get rid of some more stuff, my life will soon be better for it!

Back