Cloudy Finish Starting

Dirty_Boogie

Still got the ol' tagger on it
Hi Friends,

I have the cloudy finish starting on the heel of my 2019 Custom, and also an interesting potential finish(?) issue at the neck join. Other than that, I've kept the guitar in pristine condition. Sent pics to customer service, and they will evaluate and refinish if necessary - very happy with that. So I boxed the guitar last night, but now I'm having second thoughts about sending it in. Is it really necessary to be repaired? Do I want to risk the shipping? Will it get worse over time? Take a look and let me know your thoughts...

SkQNCgD.jpg

j2e3Osj.jpg

Man, cloudy finish issues suck. Sorry it's happening to yours....

Is it necessary to be repaired? Probably not. From everything I've read and seen, it's strictly cosmetic and does not effect playability.

Do you risk the shipping? I mean, there's always soooooome level of risk when shipping anything and the anxiety that goes along with it. That being said, literally thousands of guitars are shipped every day all over the world, so I think (especially if you're in the US) shipping it to PRS, you'll be fine. All of the guitars I have shipped and have had shipped to me (including one from overseas) all showed up perfectly fine with no issue.

Will it get worse over time? Hard to say for sure. Some do, some stop right where they're at. It's certainly possible, though.

If it were my guitar, and the PTC offered to look at it with the possibility of a factory refinish, I'd take them up on it. But that's just me.

Good luck!

Since that's a 2019, I think I would send it in. That's awfully soon for it to start happening. No telling if it will get worse. If it were older, I do think I would bother with it, unless it migrated to the top. I have a '97 Santana I and a 2009 WL DGT. The Santana has some on the heel, like yours, and I little on the lower horn. The DGT has a little on the lower horn. Neither has gotten any worse in the 2 and 3 years, respectively, that I have owned them.

Wait, what? 2019? Wasn't that year they started CAB finish which was apparently addressing the cloudiness?

Everybody's different of course. I'm a guy who will reluctantly accept a ding/scrape etc that I created or that I knowingly bought that way.
But... I'm also the guy who would organize the repair that you did.
I shipped my P22 from Vancouver to Stevensville and back with no fear. It got back just fine. That was a piezo board repair.
I used the original case in a box of course.
Just my opinion, but I'd get it fixed.

Wait, what? 2019? Wasn't that year they started CAB finish which was apparently addressing the cloudiness?
Late 2019. First on the 594s, starting late November, IIRC. The rest of the line was phased in. I believe Feb 2020 was the target date to have at least all of the Core models switched over.

Late 2019. First on the 594s, starting late November, IIRC. The rest of the line was phased in. I believe Feb 2020 was the target date to have at least all of the Core models switched over.

Fair... still sucks

I had a guitar with the V12 finish that developed a number of cloudy spots. I would say that mine would probably have continued to get worse. PRS support had me send it in and they refinished it with the new nitro. It is back to that dipped in glass look. I would recommend sending it to them and let them figure out what needs done. If you are shipping in the case you should be fine.

I had a guitar with the V12 finish that developed a number of cloudy spots. I would say that mine would probably have continued to get worse. PRS support had me send it in and they refinished it with the new nitro. It is back to that dipped in glass look. I would recommend sending it to them and let them figure out what needs done. If you are shipping in the case you should be fine.
Thanks - good to hear the outcome. PTC has it now, and the 8 week wait starts…

They had mine turned around faster than I expected with the way things have been backed up everywhere. I would have to go back and check the emails but I think they got mine done and back in around 6 weeks.
That's good to know, thanks. Just out of interest, did they send an email acknowledging receipt of the guitar (against the RMA #), or send you any updates that work had started? I'm not going to bug them with any emails, but it would be nice to know that it at least had been formally received into their repair queue.

That's good to know, thanks. Just out of interest, did they send an email acknowledging receipt of the guitar (against the RMA #), or send you any updates that work had started? I'm not going to bug them with any emails, but it would be nice to know that it at least had been formally received into their repair queue.

I followed the tracking on it and followed up on the email thread we had going when I saw that it arrived to let them know that I saw it was received. They replied and told me they would let me know once they had a chance to look at it what the steps from there would be. It was only a day or two and they emailed me back to let me know it was going to need refinished and that the process takes a bit of time to do. They didn't send any updates as to where it was in the process. I figured I would wait 6 to 8 weeks before following up with them. They reached out to me about shipping it back before that time came.

Back