Cloudy finish on a 513

jshorak

Hello

I just bought a used Rosewood 513. Here are the specs from customer service:
2004 513 Rosewood, with a figured Maple 10-top, Mahogany body, 22 fret Rosewood neck with Wide-Fat profile, East Indian Rosewood fretboard, with bird inlays, PRS Tremolo bridge, with 5 single coil pickups, finished in Black Cherry, with gold hardware.

The finish has some cloudy spots on the top. I think a previous owner must have sweat on the guitar and not cleaned it.

My question is how does this affect the value or the ability to sell it? The guitar is completely stock and has no other damage. I know it is an opinion but this is the place for the experts so I thought I would ask. Do you think I need to get it refinished in order to sell it? Would you? They want $1900 so that is a bit tough.

Thank you in advance

Last edited:
If I recall, that’s a first-year 513. There’s nothing particularly more valuable in being an early model, but I think it’s always cool to get one like that. You can never tell what the future will bring, when I started playing you could buy Les Pauls from the 50s for under $1000 all the time. My guess is that 513s won’t attain the level of collectability that early LPs did, so if the finish bothers you, get it redone.

I think I’d just keep it original, personally, but that’s just me. Small finish imperfections don’t bother me on guitars with a couple of decades under their belt. :)

By the way, I’ve got two ‘07 BRZ 513s. Great guitars!

Thank you for the reply. The guitar plays great but I think I would prefer an H-H although I love the unfinished neck.

Thank you all for your thoughts. I now have someone who is interested in buying it. What is, in your opinion, a fair price?

I'm just curious, has anyone with finish clouding on their guitar ever (gently) taken a hairdryer to it to see what happens? I imagine the possibility of making if worse might be an issue, but I just wonder...has anyone actually tried it?

I actually used a heat gun (gently) on this guitar. It cleared up some of the spots, a little bit, but did not work on the worst areas.

Back