Clouding on 2008 SC 250

TerraRich

Got a used SC 250 a couple of weeks ago. The finish is in remarkable shape, beautiful and pristine Blue Matteo top. Issue is that there is some mild clouding on the headstock and on the lower horn cutaway. Don't know when this clouding started. Curious to know if people who have experienced this issue had the clouding increase over time? Any input would be appreciated.

One of my McCartys started to cloud. I had it refinished. I want to see the beautiful wood and color as it was intended. Some will say to just ignore it. It isn't super common, but it does happen to a few guitars.

IIRC, it's actually from moisture under the clear coat. I had it on the headstock and lower horn cutaway (same as OP) on my '97 Santana. It did not get worse when I had it from 2017 to 2022. Here's a thread with some further info, Page 2 post from FunkyFreeman has some good details. Especially bad in tropical areas.

Yes, I agree, it's moisture under the clear coat. I have one that hasn't gotten any worse at all in the past few years and it's heavily played.

I have had it happen to one of my guitars. I live in South Florida so there may be something to the being worse in tropical areas. PRS refinished it under warranty. Unfortunately, not being the original purchaser, you will have to pay them to do it and the price is steep.

IIRC, it's actually from moisture under the clear coat. I had it on the headstock and lower horn cutaway (same as OP) on my '97 Santana. It did not get worse when I had it from 2017 to 2022. Here's a thread with some further info, Page 2 post from FunkyFreeman has some good details. Especially bad in tropical areas.

I'm in Southeast Michigan. No tropical climate here, yet.

I contacted PTC about this. Had something similar with a DGT in 2018 and PTC refinished free. From what I understand, those days are long gone.

If it has a nitro top coat, you might try rubbing a dab of auto wax onto a small spot to see if it helps. Several years ago, I aquired a fairly recent Gibson J-45 that had been sitting in its case for awhile and looked like someone had emptied a jug of milk on it. I looked around the web for some advice and came across a post from Bob Taylor of Taylor guitars. He said that nitro laquer was developed as a car finish, so auto wax can help restore luster on an instrument finished with nitro. I found some liquid Turtle Wax in my garage and tried a little bit in an inconspicuous spot. It worked great. I wound up rubbing out the whole guitar a little at a time and it came out looking like new. Wouldn't try it on anything other than nitro finish, though. Also don't know if it will cause problems with retouching finish dings or gluing up cracks in the future, but if it's good enough for Bob, it's good enough for me.

If it has a nitro top coat, you might try rubbing a dab of auto wax onto a small spot to see if it helps. Several years ago, I aquired a fairly recent Gibson J-45 that had been sitting in its case for awhile and looked like someone had emptied a jug of milk on it. I looked around the web for some advice and came across a post from Bob Taylor of Taylor guitars. He said that nitro laquer was developed as a car finish, so auto wax can help restore luster on an instrument finished with nitro. I found some liquid Turtle Wax in my garage and tried a little bit in an inconspicuous spot. It worked great. I wound up rubbing out the whole guitar a little at a time and it came out looking like new. Wouldn't try it on anything other than nitro finish, though. Also don't know if it will cause problems with retouching finish dings or gluing up cracks in the future, but if it's good enough for Bob, it's good enough for me.
I would also recommend trying Gibson guitar polish. I have been using it for years. It actually has some nitro in it. It works on pretty much all of the finishes that guitar manufacturers use.

I had one of my 2021 S2 thinline 594’s develop so discoloration under the finish and sent it to PRS for evaluation and they’re refinishing it under warranty. They quoted 15-16 weeks for a turn around is the only downside.
Upside is I’m having them install Phase III tuners while it’s there and since it’s being refinished I shouldn’t end up with a leftover foot print from the vintage tuners.
Also gonna have them upgrade the pickups to 58/15’s and the electronics to the USA core 594 drop in. Should make it one of a kind.

Back