Closest to MDT but different?

Discussion in 'Amplifiers' started by Dusty Chalk, May 5, 2016.

1. Dusty Chalk

Dusty Chalk alberngruppenf├╝hrer

So as much as I like the Archon, the MDT I have is much more my thing. But as was discussed elsewhere, I am one of those people that doesn't see the point in having two of the exact same amp, even for backup. But I do want a head version of what I have, as the 4x10 combo is essentially immovable.

So what's the closest amp to the MDT that isn't quite the MDT? Is there anything in the current lineup? Paul's Amp? Dallas? I don't even know a thread that lists all the different types of amps they've had.

2. Boogie

Boogie SuperD

I thought the 2 ch Custom replaced the MDT in the line up? Otherwise, have PRS make you an MDT.

Dusty Chalk likes this.
  3. justmund

justmund Plank Spanker

Dusty Chalk likes this.
  4. LSchefman

LSchefman Hears Tones

For some reason the PRS site doesn't have a Paul's Amp listed as an option any more. But they didn't have the Big Mouth cab I bought listed either, and I got one they had in stock. So you might want to check with your dealer.

There are also the excellent options of the HXDA and DG50...

Dusty Chalk likes this.
  5. aristotle

aristotle New Member

If you are looking for something similar, but with different options, it's the HX/DA hands down. I have a both, and the 2 channel as well. As nice as PRS 2 channels are, I don't find them similar at all to either the HX/DA or MDT (or the DG amps for that matter). Assuming 50W for each, the HX/DA can be set up to give you more clean headroom than the MDT. It can also be set up to give you a pretty close tone and feel (though not exact.) And it will give you more options with all of the switches and whatnot. To me, the MDT is the best amp that PRS has ever made, but the HX/DA is a close second.

It should be pretty easy to find one in a head version also.

Dusty Chalk and veinbuster like this.
  6. Dusty Chalk

Dusty Chalk alberngruppenf├╝hrer

Thanks, that's exactly what I wanted to hear. (The part of me that wants to get enabled. )

And thank you to everyone else for their input, it actually makes the decision harder.

HXDA, or Paul's. Or both. Or possibly even all three (DG), and give up the Archon. Not sure I'm ready to do that.

ARGH.

7. elvis

elvis Hamfisted String Banger

I find that a pretty much never switch between amps. I switch guitars a lot.

If you tend to play only one amp, it's probably best to just pick the one you will like the most often. If you switch between amps quite a bit, well...