Clearcoat Finish flaking

Robert Carr

Why can't I take my guitar everywhere??
My clear coat finish is flaking off, in a certain area. Bottom of guitar if I'm holding it, back right if I have it in the stand. I've had this instrument for less than six months. Its not buckle rash, I'm very gentle with this instrument - Any idea what this is?

IMG_5721_zpstfaetrdu.jpg

IMG_8768_zps759jamco.jpg

IMG_8470_zpsvhk25k6y.jpg

An issue others on the forum have seen before....my Custom 24 has the same thing going on. It has something to do with the V12 finish not setting correctly, lifting from the wood, and then flaking.

I'd suggest contacting PRS through email. In most cases I've seen, it's covered under warranty and PRS will repair the finish. I never did anything about mine, it's pretty small on my guitar and never bothered me enough for me to send it in and have it repaired.

I have it also on my CU24.
Not bad enough for me to be bothered either.

Do you sit to play? Could it be a rivet from jeans or something hard in your pocket like a comb or keys?

Not sure - meaning I'd have to sit down with it and see if that's hitting. Good idea tho.

I've seen this on some early V12 finishes, but it was usually near the edge of the fretboard.
That looks more like abrasion....???

Had the same thing happen to my DGT after i had it about 6 months or so, it started on the natural binding lines where maple meets mahogany (it didn't bother me at first until i can flake the finish with my finger) it was covered under warranty and they fixed it; and while they have to do the entire finish i had them "satanize" the neck area for a fee. It's awesome now! I suggest contact your dealer as they covered the shipping cost to send it in on my case.

Back