Cleaning up a Tremonti

Alpha

Hey everyone,

Quick question, is it possible to replace the pickup cover on a Tremonti bass pickup? The cover is super tarnished and haven't tried blue magic yet, but I am thinking it could be too far gone.

Thanks for the heads up:wave:

On a side note while searching around for the answer I came across this video of a guy giving some major love to his Custom 24.

Last edited by a moderator:
Most pickup covers are just held on with a bit of solder easy enough to replace or just scotch bright and go with the brushed look

Most pickup covers are just held on with a bit of solder easy enough to replace or just scotch bright and go with the brushed look

Thanks for the heads up!

I'm okay with wear and tear on the guitar, but it is covered in some gunk and funk right now, don't think it was wiped down in close to 10 years. The first round of blue magic I purchased had hardened it sat on the shelf so long, so I have done some more reading. May still give that a shot, but have come across some more options like the PRS polish, cleaner, and oil.

Anyone else have recommendations on products etc?

Did come across an interesting tidbit from a Meguiar's employee:

""""
Re: Quick Detailer on Acoustic Guitars

The best alternative, and the most commonly used quick detail spray among guitar owners, is our M34 Final Inspection. In fact, when we used to make the guitar kit for Fender, it essentially consisted of M09 Swirl Remover 2.0, M07 Show Car Glaze, and M34, all of which are silicone free.

"""""""

In fact, when we used to make the guitar kit for Fender, it essentially consisted of M09 Swirl Remover 2.0, M07 Show Car Glaze, and M34, all of which are silicone free.

Thanks for mentioning this. I've used the M07 Car Glaze for many years to remove light swirl marks, etc. It's great stuff, especially if you have the right polishing technique down.

The thing when removing swirl marks, etc., is to rub lightly but briskly to break down the polish. As a polish breaks down, the fine abrasives become finer and finer until you get a very glassy finish.

I actually find that cotton cloths will leave their own swirl marks, so I use a small piece of chamois to do the initial polishing, and then lightly buff with a microfiber soft cloth like the blue ones you can find at Griot's Garage. They won't scratch the finish or leave swirl marks like even soft cotton can, because the fibers are much smaller. I do a small area at a time.

Last edited:
Thanks for mentioning this. I've used the M07 Car Glaze for many years to remove light swirl marks, etc. It's great stuff, especially if you have the right polishing technique down.

The thing when removing swirl marks, etc., is to rub lightly but briskly to break down the polish. As a polish breaks down, the fine abrasives become finer and finer until you get a very glassy finish.

I actually find that cotton cloths will leave their own swirl marks, so I use a small piece of chamois to do the initial polishing, and then lightly buff with a microfiber soft cloth like the blue ones you can find at Griot's Garage. They won't scratch the finish or leave swirl marks like even soft cotton can, because the fibers are much smaller. I do a small area at a time.

Here is the link for the Meguiar's forum post if you were wanting it

Funny you brought up Griot's blue microfiber, I just put them in my cart over at advance auto parts site, 3 for $12 with the coupon. So it sounds like I'm on the right track
:cheers:

Back