cleaning solvents

cvballa008

hello all, which cleaning solvents would you or do you use for your PRS guitars?

Usually just a clean micro-fiber cloth (without any added chemicals in it)...usually under 10 bucks...available at most music stores.
There are many polishes available from everybody...I use PRS guitar polish ...Gives a nice finish.
And treatment for the fingerboard about once a year, unless you are in exceptionally dry or wet (humid) climates, then more often.

Naphtha for the win if you want to clean fingerprints or other gunk off your guitar.

I think I've only ever used Ronson lighter fluid or Naptha by another name on fingerboard gunk only, then followed by some Dr. Ducks or similar to remove the white dry look. Nothing else on any other part of the guitar but maybe some breath condensation and a microcloth. Surprisingly, Maguires detail finish spray for cars will leave your guitars looking like they haven't left the factory yet...

The PRS cleaner is an excellent product, cleans the guitar and shines it up a little, too. It’s what they use at the factory to make folks ooh and aaahh at the new ones when they open the case.

I generally wipe the guitar down with a damp, clean microfiber towel that’s fluffy (Griot’s Garage makes some super nice ones), and then wipe it dry with a second clean microfiber towel.

Then I’ll spray a little PRS cleaner on the cloth I used to dry the guitar, no hard rubbing is needed, followed by drying with another clean microfiber towel.

Makes the guitars look brand new, and removes most grime. I used Naphtha back in the day, and found it really unpleasant to use. But if you need a serious solvent (I don’t get mine very dirty), it certainly works. I also thought it kinda made a finish look dull, but I think that might be because it removes other polishes.

Yep, I 've discovered that I should never use a washed microcloth.. they get a bit brittle and lose the softness. I've also found out that with a new cloth, there is no rubbing, but just gliding over the surface produces the best shine.

That’s true of most microfiber cloths, but I’ve found something truly different.

I have a bunch of Griot’s Garage plush microfiber towels, and have washed them many times (on gentle cycle). They start out very thick, plush as new bath towels, and stay soft, thick and useful for a long time. Some of my older ones have been around 6-7 years, possibly more, and that includes multiple washings. They’re still soft and nice, almost as soft and plush as new ones.

Meantime, the microfiber cloths I used to buy from Costco, etc., have turned into taco shells.

These things are even edgeless now, there’s no stitching around the sides that could conceivably cause swirl marks. The ones I have are from a few years ago; at that time, Griot’s was then using satin around the edges for protection of the finish.

They’re truly the OCD maniac’s (that would be me) best friend, and the results are excellent. They were designed to polish the lacquer paint on show cars. You’d think my guitars are brand new. No swirl marks after years of use. There’s a video about them on the page I’m linking.

https://www.griotsgarage.com/produc...MItsu96r6N4wIViobACh29WQiIEAQYAiABEgIOuvD_BwE

If you try them, just wash them on the washing machine’s gentle cycle. Not that I was told that’s the only way to do it, I just figure WTF why not. I also put them in the dryer with no problems.

I’m such a madman that I keep a new one in every guitar’s case (which is a little weird, since my guitars never leave the studio any more, but a man’s gotta be prepared!). I also have a couple in the glove box of my car, because...yeah. OCD.

I found out about these because in the 80s I used to have a Hartge-modded BMW that I both raced and showed, and occasionally I was a judge for concours. So I used some of their products on my cars over the years, liked them, and kept using them.

Will naphtha be ok to use on the new PRS core guitars that have "nitro over CAB" finishes? I use naphtha on my other guitars which gives a nice squeaky-clean result (which is shiny/glossy & not dull at all), but they are 100% nitro & have no CAB. Thanks.

Back