CLEANING PRS MAPLE NECKS?

helmi

single & satin
All the PRS's I have owned have always been rosewood fretboards. I've always used the PRS fretboard conditioner and PRS guitar cleaner. I recently picked up a SAS NF with a maple neck and maple fretboard. I've heard you have to watch what you use on maple, especially a maple fretboard. what are you guys using to clean both sides of your maple necks?

First off - great guitar! And lets see some pics!!

I asked this question a few weeks back regarding one of my new to me CE's that also have maple necks. Do not use the PRS cleaner or conditioner on the back of that neck as the SAS neck has a nitro finish (just as the older CE necks). Furniture polish works the best and is recommended by PRS. I used Orange Glo to clean mine up.

Here's a nice link that might help - https://www.prsguitars.com/csc/care.html

You should be fine using the PRS supplies on the body though as it should be finished in a different (non nitro) manner.

if I knew how to post pic's, I would. how do you like your ce's? I have 2 singlecuts and the SAS, (and have owned a boatload of others) but have been very interested in a ce22, but a maple top.

Maple can get away with a soft damp cloth and pretty much nothing else. No oils, or polishes, just me. A microcloth to really make it shine without added ingredients.

if I knew how to post pic's, I would. how do you like your ce's? I have 2 singlecuts and the SAS, (and have owned a boatload of others) but have been very interested in a ce22, but a maple top.

I really dig my CEs. The '96 has a maple top with a mahogany back while the '06 is solid mahogany so they sound a bit different that each other with the same pickups (VB/HFS). Both have rosewood fretboards. I really like the way they sound in split coil mode for some spank and sparkle. My '91 CU24 can do this as well, but not to the same degree. I would be hard pressed to pick my favorite among them as they all do the same thing a little differently. Of course, my SE Tremonti Custom is a whole different beast!

I would highly suggest checking the CEs out. On the used market they are a steal and worth way more than the current going rate.

I don't think I'd use anything but a damp cloth on the satin "in the wood" finished maple.

Maple can get away with a soft damp cloth and pretty much nothing else. No oils, or polishes, just me. A microcloth to really make it shine without added ingredients.

I don't think I'd use anything but a damp cloth on the satin "in the wood" finished maple.

Count me in on this. This is all I do.

I really dig my CEs. The '96 has a maple top with a mahogany back while the '06 is solid mahogany so they sound a bit different that each other with the same pickups (VB/HFS).

Is the maple top brighter? what are the major sound differences? are yours 22 or 24 frets?

Last edited:
Is the maple top brighter? what are the major sound differences? are yours 22 or 24 frets?

Mine are both 24s. What I hear as "major" sound differences are probably quite minute to the casual listener. The solid mahogany one has a slightly warmer and slightly darker tone than the maple capped one. In context with a band is where you can really hear the differences.

They are both awesome at what they do and are incredible players.

I thought that the SAS NF necks were finished the same way as the older CEs were. If it's a lighter nitro coat and you can feel the grain, then furniture polish might not be the best way to go as you might get some build up.

I thought that the SAS NF necks were finished the same way as the older CEs were. If it's a lighter nitro coat and you can feel the grain, then furniture polish might not be the best way to go as you might get some build up.
It feels almost unfinished, so it's different from the old ce necks.

Back