Civil War! Vela Vs Vela

Aahzz

Bluebeard Member
So I was dressing up the new Semi tonight and decided it'd be a good time to do a comparison video of the 2 Velas, despite being tired at the end of the day and not having my hat handy. It ain't pretty, but it works...here you go:

I really enjoyed the variety of playing in your video. Notes, chords, and no f&cking finger tapping or sweep picking (no real offense to shredders, it just doesn't portray tonality very well). This is the kind of real user content we need more of.

The most notable thing to me is what I also hear between solid and semi-hollow versions of my other guitars, and that is the reduced attack of the semi-hollow guitar. Semi-hollow guitars seem to have just a bit more subtle squish in the transient. A softer edge. A blush. A shade darker. Like you'd feel it too while you're playing, but it's not world's apart either.

Which is why you might need a third Vela. Who knows what subtleties await you? :D

So I was dressing up the new Semi tonight and decided it'd be a good time to do a comparison video of the 2 Velas, despite being tired at the end of the day and not having my hat handy. It ain't pretty, but it works...here you go:

"In another times forgotten space..."

That was nice! I couldn't decide which I like better, they are brushes and colors from the same palette and its always good to have more color :)

You're a note chewer too, much better than having guitar face!

Personally I'd call it a draw.

I really enjoyed the variety of playing in your video. Notes, chords, and no f&cking finger tapping or sweep picking (no real offense to shredders, it just doesn't portray tonality very well). This is the kind of real user content we need more of.

The most notable thing to me is what I also hear between solid and semi-hollow versions of my other guitars, and that is the reduced attack of the semi-hollow guitar. Semi-hollow guitars seem to have just a bit more subtle squish in the transient. A softer edge. A blush. A shade darker. Like you'd feel it too while you're playing, but it's not world's apart either.

Which is why you might need a third Vela. Who knows what subtleties await you? :D

Thanks! I get tired of demos videos that are nothing but shredding/lead playing. I figure even most "lead" players play rhythm a good portion of the time, so I like to hear chords in demos. Of course, I also can't shred to save my life, but that's another story :D.

Hi Aahzz! Enjoyed your video! I could tell a bit of difference between the two with the semi being the winner. Of course, I'm a bit biased seeing how I own one myself as you know!

Speaking of, I used my Vela for the first time at church today. I use it through a Line 6 Pod Go using a line out to the board which has a line to our in ear monitors. I used a Vox AC30 model (not the Top Boost model but the "Fawn" AC30) with an IR using 2 Silver Bell speakers. Used varying degrees of reverb and delay on all pickup setting adding some overdrive just on the bridge pickup. (I use all 3 combinations a lot).

The band and the soundman all loved it! One of the other musicians who wasn't playing was in the congregation and he said the tones were killin' it! I am so glad I decided on this guitar. It is so comfortable to play, it's got the sound I've been looking for and the light weight wasn't hurting my shoulder or back.

Thank you for that! Something I know I messaged you about before I got my SH for the win!

Both sound great but there is a slight difference that you point out. For my taste the SH has the lead. Thanks for sharing.

Its nice to see some passion in guitar! well done sir

Nice comparison! There are things I like about both. The thing I dislike about both is... that I have neither! But, I do have the same pickups in my S2 Studio, and absolutely love it, so kinda in the ball park.

Thanks for putting that together Mr. Aahzz! I agree that the difference is slight, but I personally would lean towards the SH largely because I do zero shredding or anything that needs any real bite!! Great job!!!

"In another times forgotten space..."

That was nice! I couldn't decide which I like better, they are brushes and colors from the same palette and its always good to have more color :)

You're a note chewer too, much better than having guitar face!

Personally I'd call it a draw.

Well done! Thanks for posting this.

Thanks for this. Plenty clear enough to hear the differences, and to appreciate that they both sound great.

Hi Aahzz! Enjoyed your video! I could tell a bit of difference between the two with the semi being the winner. Of course, I'm a bit biased seeing how I own one myself as you know!

Speaking of, I used my Vela for the first time at church today. I use it through a Line 6 Pod Go using a line out to the board which has a line to our in ear monitors. I used a Vox AC30 model (not the Top Boost model but the "Fawn" AC30) with an IR using 2 Silver Bell speakers. Used varying degrees of reverb and delay on all pickup setting adding some overdrive just on the bridge pickup. (I use all 3 combinations a lot).

The band and the soundman all loved it! One of the other musicians who wasn't playing was in the congregation and he said the tones were killin' it! I am so glad I decided on this guitar. It is so comfortable to play, it's got the sound I've been looking for and the light weight wasn't hurting my shoulder or back.

Great job...all comparisons should be done like that...same riff/settings/etc... back-to-back...
thank you.

Thanks all!!

Thanks all!!

Thank you! I'm sure I'm not the only one on here and other boards that has a Vela because of you. I played her all day today and man what an inspiring guitar. I've been working on this song for a while but the riffs weren't flowing together how I wanted. The Vela took care of that today..still not polished but she sure did move me ahead out of my creative block.

Love it! Now I need a solid Vela......arrrghhh that new Mahi Blue looks super nice! I accidentally broke the pickguard on my Semi Vela the other day, as I was ordering a replacement pickguard it got me thinking about some mods that I wanted to do. Will post a thread and some clips once I get it all done. (If the mod is successful that it....hahah)

Back