CITES Appendix II

If my memory serves me, was there not an amendment that allowed instruments already made with IRW.

I could be totally wrong and quite often am.
Yes, IRW is fine on an existing instrument. Some of the problem traveling with it though, is that without paperwork, it is hard to prove which rosewood you have.

Yes, IRW is fine on an existing instrument. Some of the problem traveling with it though, is that without paperwork, it is hard to prove which rosewood you have.

Have a picture on your phone showing the back of a "for USA only" headstock. "Look Ma, Mine doesn't say that!" I seriously doubt if Customs has any idea how far back PRS started that procedure. I can't imagine that you'd be in any trouble unless you unknowingly stated you were transporting a Brazilian Rosewood instrument or if you had paperwork in the case stating as such (certificate, sales receipt, Brazilian sheet, TRC, etc.). BTW, I fully understand CITES and respect what it is trying to prevent, but the guitar thing got a little carried away, IMO.

Have a picture on your phone showing the back of a "for USA only" headstock. "Look Ma, Mine doesn't say that!" I seriously doubt if Customs has any idea how far back PRS started that procedure. I can't imagine that you'd be in any trouble unless you unknowingly stated you were transporting a Brazilian Rosewood instrument or if you had paperwork in the case stating as such (certificate, sales receipt, Brazilian sheet, TRC, etc.). BTW, I fully understand CITES and respect what it is trying to prevent, but the guitar thing got a little carried away, IMO.
Maybe a printout of a Modcat too?

Maybe a printout of a Modcat too?
I’m fearless clearing customs in person. Unattended, you are subject to the whims of the clearing agent, who might opt to enforce the letter of the law as they understand it. I don’t think they will know or care about things like the absence of a “for USA only” or a modcat.

I think they would respect a Private Stock certificate.

Mostly, I don’t think most jurisdictions care much about a guitar.

I’m fearless clearing customs in person. Unattended, you are subject to the whims of the clearing agent, who might opt to enforce the letter of the law as they understand it. I don’t think they will know or care about things like the absence of a “for USA only” or a modcat.

I think they would respect a Private Stock certificate.

Mostly, I don’t think most jurisdictions care much about a guitar.

Good point. I was referring to while traveling with the instrument; not shipping it.

Thanks Sean for the data !
Bob Taylor has done a lot to help this out, he got the Ebony to be sustainable harvested and helped the local economy, and partnered with Pacific Tonewoods to replant Koa on a big parcel in Hawai'i . It would be nice to see more Guitar makers do this

Back