Cites and buying selling

Solteroblues

so I found a guitar that I really want, but it’s in Canada. The seller says he can’t sell it to me because of Cites. It’s a USA made PRS. Is he wrong? Or can I really not buy an American made guitar because it can’t be brought back into the country in which it was made due to this legislation?

CITES gets involved for all importing/exporting of the covered species of wood, regardless of the origin of the item. That being said, it's not impossible for you to buy the guitar, but to legally cross the border with it requires paperwork.

Yeah I’m thinking he just doesn’t want to deal with it. How does it work if you’re traveling across the border with it? We happen to have a Canadian office... LOL

Yeah I’m thinking he just doesn’t want to deal with it. How does it work if you’re traveling across the border with it? We happen to have a Canadian office... LOL

If it's personal property, I think it's a little different. I may be way off on that, but I thought someone here posted about that when they were going through an overseas purchase, or were traveling overseas with a guitar.

I’ve crossed the border many times with a personal guitar subject to CITIES. The guitar has never been questioned. Not to say it won’t be on some future trip.

I would assume that most border guards aren't experts on all the covered species, let alone which ones are commonly found in different items. And I wouldn't be surprised if most of them don't really care when it's part of a personal consumer product. BUT, if you happen to catch the wrong guard on the wrong day, you could be in for a headache...

I’ve crossed the border many times with a personal guitar subject to CITIES. The guitar has never been questioned. Not to say it won’t be on some future trip.

Hand-carrying isn't subject to any permits or paperwork (for Appendix II, anyway). Braz would be a problem - but if you have a guitar in your possession as you cross the border you don't need to prove anything else, so you're within the rules.

So yeah, @Solteroblues - if you can make a little business trip to Canada to collect it, you'll forego the need for anything in the way of permits and clearances. US Customs might decide to hit you for import sales tax, but at least it will be duty-free. :)

Back