Cigars anyone?

Eddie kim

I just started a bad habit of smoking a cigar. It’s pretty relaxing, but I have no idea of what I’m smoking. Any advise for a bignner smoker?

Depends on what flavor profiles you like. I started on Hoyo de Monterey Excaliburs back in the 90s. I found them easy to get along with. Big dark cigars are liable to knock you on your butt. You'll swear you just smoked a big, fat joint. You may want to steer clear of those, in the beginning. I have a full humidor, but have smoked in a few years. Just kind of fell out of the habit.

At any rate, Padrons are nice. La Gloria Cubana I liked. There are so many to choose from. Best advice, if you can get to a local brick and mortar cigar store; get friendly with the people that work there. They are usually very patient, and provide good advice and direction.

Relaxing is a good way to describe it. A cigar and a glass of scotch, bourbon or a Stout/dark beer is a wonderful way to spend an hour!

That’s the one part people forget that the most people have no idea what a flavor profile is.

We’re spoiled for Cubans here in Canada. There’s a few good stores left up here if you’re ever travelling North (assuming you’re in the USA)((excluding Alaska, in which case travel South and East. ))

Yesssssss lol. I was born in ‘84, so wasn’t really getting some of the references when this all went down.

Then one of my druncles explained all to me one Xmas. Ahhhhh family.

Since we are on this path I’ll relate story. My shop is in the town of Clinton. When I was first looking for the shop’s phone number I Googled “Clinton and cigar”. The first result was a photo of Monica Lewinsky. True story.

When starting out you should try all kinds to see what you like best. Keep a notebook. They have a thing called a cigar dossier. It has a place to put the label, and rate the cigar. Helped to figure out what I liked.

Although, in all honesty, if you do quit now, you can save yourself a shitload of dough!

I’m no quitter! Oh wait a minute, I forgot I quit smoking about 13 years ago.... haha

I haven't had a cigar since the early 80's. I wasn't even knowledgeable enough to know a good one from a bad one... hence.. Anthony and Cleopatra 3 pack 2 dolla. Probably what put me off of them in the first place.

I quit smoking in 1993. One thing I do miss is a beverage, campfire, cigar and motorcycle rally.

I used to go to BMW and Moto Guzzi rallies in Iowa, Illinois and Wisconsin. I think my son and I are going to hit a few in 2019. It will be good to revisit that scene again.

Back