*Christmas NGD* Tonare In Abaco Green... Stunner!

Wow. This thing is silly good looking. I seriously did a double take at the SE sticker inside the body.

Happy Holidays,
Gorgeous guitars... I'm not hijacking the thread - but responding to the comment about having the confidence to order a guitar - sight unseen, ears unheard and no touching until after the money is gone. I'm trying to get my arms around the highly touted and supposedly deserved "PRS Quality" and what to expect...
I recently bought an A60 E, and straight out of the box - certain frets in the upper register just didn't play and needed my luthier's attention - disconcerting for a $1000.00 guitar. Also, the area of the top behind the bridge is not flat, but wavy. I have 30 and 50 year old guitars (one a 12 string) that are still flat. I also have a lot of respect for Pacific Rim guitars - I have a 25 yr old Yairi jumbo, a couple of Ibanez - (one is a lawsuit LP and IMHO - better than a Gibby LP). I recently bought a new D'Angelico EXCEL SS- built in the Pacific Rim - and honestly, just about flawless - so I know the possibility for dang near perfect guitars exist.
Back to the A60 -
So, with new strings and dialing in the frets, my new A60 now plays, but I have a lingering concern about the top not being just perfectly flat. If I simply got a bad guitar (built on Friday?) and just need to swap it out because this is not normal for PRS - then I can do that - but if issues like mine also existed with the Green one... then I may just have to return the guitar and keep looking. I called and emaiIed PRS Support on Friday but no answer, and I need to make a decision soon as the clock is ticking on what to do with this guitar.

Again - congrats your A55... you need to figure out how to cut a hole in the back and play it from that side.
SPEp6bN

Last edited:
Happy Holidays,
Gorgeous guitars... I'm not hijacking the thread - but responding to the comment about having the confidence to order a guitar - sight unseen, ears unheard and no touching until after the money is gone. I'm trying to get my arms around the highly touted and supposedly deserved "PRS Quality" and what to expect...
I recently bought an A60 E, and straight out of the box - certain frets in the upper register just didn't play and needed my luthier's attention - disconcerting for a $1000.00 guitar. Also, the area of the top behind the bridge is not flat, but wavy. I have 30 and 50 year old guitars (one a 12 string) that are still flat. I also have a lot of respect for Pacific Rim guitars - I have a 25 yr old Yairi jumbo, a couple of Ibanez - (one is a lawsuit LP and IMHO - better than a Gibby LP). I recently bought a new D'Angelico EXCEL SS- built in the Pacific Rim - and honestly, just about flawless - so I know the possibility for dang near perfect guitars exist.
Back to the A60 -
So, with new strings and dialing in the frets, my new A60 now plays, but I have a lingering concern about the top not being just perfectly flat. If I simply got a bad guitar (built on Friday?) and just need to swap it out because this is not normal for PRS - then I can do that - but if issues like mine also existed with the Green one... then I may just have to return the guitar and keep looking. I called and emaiIed PRS Support on Friday but no answer, and I need to make a decision soon as the clock is ticking on what to do with this guitar.

Again - congrats your A55... you need to figure out how to cut a hole in the back and play it from that side.
SPEp6bN
SPEp6bN

IMG_2780.JPG

Why dick around? If you’re not happy, return it or exchange it.

That's exactly my question - if this is the norm - I return it... if this is a fluke - I exchange it... -
but what is the experience of the collective...??
"Sure, all PRS's come with wavy tops and unplayable regions on the neck... but we only expect them to last 5 years..." or "New model, first run, had issues - swap it out and get a good one - it'll be a keeper..."
Thanks

I appreciate you have a query, but a PM to the OP might have been more appropriate. This thread was to celebrate the OP’s NGD.

It’s usual forum etiquette.

I appreciate you have a query, but a PM to the OP might have been more appropriate. This thread was to celebrate the OP’s NGD.

It’s usual forum etiquette.
I apologize and as mentioned - I was referencing - and celebrating - his new guitar - but also queried the comment that new guitars can confidently be bought online with no letdown. So the implied question was - "Sure it's a beauty - but does it play? and is the top flat?" Myself having just stepped up for the top of the line SE (had considered the 55... but was gong for the "traditional tone"). So asking a gentleman who just opened a new one- (new guitar, new factory, new model) seemed appropriate to determine if his experience was different or similar to mine. And him saying he has more experience buying from PRS means he may have more insight into managing expectations.

I did open an earlier thread re my new guitar - proffered solution for the A60 guitar's issues was to get a bottle of rum and get drunk... ??? WT??..
I called and emailed PRS on Friday... I need to make a decision shortly as my window to return the guitar expires soon and I have a gig Monday night and debating whether to use this guitar.

I immediately apologized and apologize again for stretching the scope of the thread and looking for a consensus as others may have benefited from his and others' reply. I'll go sit in Forum Jail now... just down the hall from Facebook Jail... for the expatriates and excommunicated.
I think I'll just return the guitar...
SPEp6bN

Last edited:
@Shawn@PRS did state a few days ago that the factory was closed into the new year.
So this will be the likely reason that you have received no reply from your email to PRS.

I would contact who ever you purchased the guitar from, if you have not already. They should be able to resolve your issues.

Don’t consider yourself in forum jail.

I hope you sort out the issues you have with the guitar and good luck with the gig.

So the implied question was - "Sure it's a beauty - but does it play? and is the top flat?"

This can’t be that hard. Consider the possibility that everyone else on this forum is as demanding and anal as anyone else, and no one else has posted about your issue since the introduction of the SE acoustics a few years ago.

I’d take that as a fairly significant fact.

If you still need a couple of folks to chime in and tell you, “No, we haven’t had those problems,” given the small sample size, how does that help you?

The smart money is on calling PRS, who take good care of their customers. Or call your dealer, and ask for an exchange conditioned on the top not being wavy, etc.

If it’s a problem the second time, get your money back. Simple, easy.

Forum jail’s not so bad. I’ve been incarcerated there any number of times. Three virtual hots and a virtual cot? Could be worse.

This can’t be that hard. Consider the possibility that everyone else on this forum is as demanding and anal as anyone else, and no one else has posted about your issue since the introduction of the SE acoustics a few years ago.

I’d take that as a fairly significant fact.

If you still need a couple of folks to chime in and tell you, “No, we haven’t had those problems,” given the small sample size, how does that help you?

The smart money is on calling PRS, who take good care of their customers. Or call your dealer, and ask for an exchange conditioned on the top not being wavy, etc.

If it’s a problem the second time, get your money back. Simple, easy.

Forum jail’s not so bad. I’ve been incarcerated there any number of times. Three virtual hots and a virtual cot? Could be worse.

As you may or may not have read - I did check with PRS (they're still out on holiday)... and there have been some other issues reported in the forums - and we're talking about a new factory which is a new playing field from years in the past... and I have no idea what others may expect or tolerate... without hearing their experience. So far I just get a lot of gibberish. Maybe you didn't know a guitar should play all the way up to the end of the neck... or that the tops should be flat... I haven't even gotten to the how does you guitar sound after a couple of years and it has opened up... maybe the case never even gets "opened up". Even in your reply - I got admonitions but little unverifiable personal experience with buying PRS Acoustic Guitar or that you even own one.
I apologize for seeming prickly, but forums are usually used as a (wait for it) "forum" - for getting honest feedback from experienced objective (or mostly so) resources who have walked a similar path and can share their experiences... BTW, Nielsen ratings were based on a relatively small subset and regarded statistically correct as a representation of the whole with a per cent error factor. I have said all along, if my current guitar is the exception and not the rule, I may try another... but if it is wait another week or two, get another guitar, get it set up and new strings - now we're into February and the guitar is maybe ready to go to work... or not...

The curious thing is I was not deluged with responses - here and my other post - and private messages - that I should name this guitar Kahoutek - as it is a fluke - and the other gazillion guitars from PRS have been peerless (Oh, that's another Pacific Rim guitar maker)... errr flawless and may be considered functional heirlooms...

Please, no more comments are necessary...I get it - I'm off to Sam Ash tomorrow to return the guitar.
Thanks and Happy Holidays to all - and to the original OP - you do have a gorgeous guitar - enjoy and talk with her daily.

Even in your reply - I got admonitions but little unverifiable personal experience with buying PRS Acoustic Guitar or that you even own one.

I own a Tonare Grand, but it’s a USA Private Stock. And yeah, the top is flat and it plays all the way up the neck. And it sounds good. And it opens up after about 4 months.

The advice you’ve gotten is hardly gibberish. Glad you’re taking the guitar back. Bye!

Maybe I’ve been incredibly lucky in my purchases. I’ve bought quite a few guitars online, mainly PRS. My 2 USA models were bought online, and came to me almost perfect, aside from personal preferences on the setup. Of all the SE models, like I said I haven’t had a dud yet.. Again, these are mass produced overseas, and there will almost always be little things (fit/finish imperfections) but the fact is these are not hand crafted, “boutique” instruments....My expectation is that I will most likely have to do a setup, which is what I do on ALL my Guitars & Basses . Now if the guitar has structural issues, that’s a different story....send it back. Odds are this is the exception, not the rule.. Out of the box, my T55E played great up and down the entire fretboard, no dead spots, and the action is actually pretty low. Like I said, maybe I’m lucky... but I also know I’m not going to get Private Stock grade for SE prices. Doesn’t mean you should settle for a guitar that’s unplayable, just don’t give up on PRS... they have some of the best customer service and QC in the business. A few months back I ordered a few Sterling by musicman Guitars & basses, and the QC on those 3 guitars were atrocious compared to my SE’s. Paint smudges, glue run-out, nicks & dings, fret sprout, buffing compound the list goes on.. and they were “Brand New”....I got too comfortable with my ability to order online and it bit me in the ass. Good luck, and hope you find something your satisfied with!

Last edited:
Hey All,
I wanted to quickly share some photos & initial impressions of the new SE acoustic range, specifically the SE Tonare T55E. I plan on recording a demo ASAP, so stay tuned for that!

As soon as this model was announced, I began my search. I really wanted to be patient and find one with beautiful (in my eyes) figure in the quilt...

As it turned out I didn’t have to wait long, and found THE ONE by the second day. Shout out to Bay Tunes Guitars in Maryland! They were excellent to deal with all around, and will absolutely be a return customer, even though I’m from Massachusetts.

First off, the quality is outstanding. I also have an SE Alex Lifeson, and one of the original SE Angelus Custom (rosewood). Both were made by Wildwood, the new one is by Cor-Tek. I see/feel & hear No drop in quality, and I’m actually surprised at how balanced & actually warm sounding this guitar is, being maple back & sides.

Like I said, I will do my best to get a recording done demoing the guitar, as I know some of you are curious about these new Acoustics. I will A-B it against the Rosewood custom. But for now, here are some pics to hold you over! It’s a bit lighter in person, and of course the photos don’t really do it justice. This looks like a private stock grade quilt...
TDOwEJM.jpg

bOIyM2Z.jpg

oQbsrpu.jpg

oEeE4WP.jpg

lFfJrTv.jpg

AILvcQu.jpg

nQYc0zJ.jpg

XigLAZk.jpg

0rRTZws.jpg

DfqD1Fs.jpg
Wow, congrats! Epic figuring on that quilt!

I remember trying the original all hog SE acoustic and thought it was amazingly good for the money. These look like works of art for a little more money. I don’t need another acoustic but seeing yours makes me want to go treasure hunting!

Back