Chris Robertson or ...

Hotspur

So I'm looking to upgrade my electric rig, and the SE Chris Robertson has caught my eye. However, I'd love the opinion of more experienced PRS folks about how it might compare to other guitars. Yes, I know the best advice is "go play everything in your price range and pick the one you can't let go of," but I like going into the guitar store as informed as possible.

I've been playing primarily acoustic for the past decade or so. My electric is a parts-caster strat, which is fine, but I'm ready for something different.

I'm a big fan of Jimmy Page and Duane Allman, a lot of the late 60s/early-70s rock. Acoustically, I play a lot of singer-songwriter stuff and am heavily influenced by the '70s British folk scene (Nick Drake, John Martyn, Bert Jansch) as well as CSN. Rumors-era Fleetwood Mac is also a big influence.

I've always loved the Les Paul sound, but have had mixed feelings about Les Pauls in general. The weight makes them hard to play for long periods of time. The upper fret access is mediocre at best. It did occur to me that, given PRS's attention to detail and playability, their take on a Les Paul might be what I'm looking for.

Once I started lusting after the Chris Robertson, I figured I ought to compare it to the similar guitars in the PRS lineup. I actually prefer double-cuts (less weight!) but also hard tails (faster tuning, better tuning stability, especially jumping back and forth between standard and DADGAD or maybe even DADDAD). Honestly, the 597 seems like it was made for me but it's way out of my price range at the moment. The Chris Robertson seems like it might be a nice compromise and something about it speaks to me enough for me to get over my concerns about weight.

I obviously have to get one in my hands to make sure the Wide Fat neck works for me. But in general, do people with more experience agree with these assessments about other similar guitars?

So the Zach Meyers is obviously also interesting. I like semi-hollows, and less weight is always nice. But it seems to me like the ZM is a little more modern-voiced? A little more metal, less classic rock?

The 245 seems a little ... safer, maybe? Less mojo? It's obviously a fair bit cheaper, which is nice, but it also feels, to me, like it veers a little more towards the standard PRS voice, which is more modern than I like.

I could probably stretch the budget and get an S2 Singlecut Satin. That seems like an upgrade on the 245, and it'd be nice to buy American (I might not be willing to buy Chinese because of economic/labor/environmental issues, but I'm happy to buy Korean, so that's not a big ding if the quality is good), but maybe it makes the same safer choices that the 245 makes? Maybe a little more middle-of-the-road? Something to look at if the wide/fat doesn't work for me, but I kind of feel "meh" about it.

So ... anything else I should really look at? Any places where my thinking here just seems way off the mark? Thoughts and opinions welcome!

Tough call...

The Robertson (being new) is in the territory of a used Core Mira (price wise) which is something else I'd look at if I were you. The SE's, all of them, are a ridiculous value. You could grab a SE Standard 245, throw some of the most expensive pickups in it, and still be below the price of a new Robertson.. You could cruise eBay and Reverb for an already upgraded Bernie or 245 too... Or grab an old SE Soapbar.. Or grab a 245 Soapbar used and throw a 57/08 in the bridge for less..

You've got a ton of options. Check out the neck profiles to make sure they'll work for you and then go from there.

I don’t own a Chris Robertson, but I do own a Bernie and a Singlecut Satin. I have compared both of them and can say that the Bernie holds up extremely well vs the Singlecut.

With the SEs, you will probably be updating the nut and tuners at some point. With the Singlecut, there is no need to do that.

The Chris Robertson has a 57/08 in the bridge which is a phenomenal pickup. No need to change pickups with this guitar.

The Zach Myers is nice too. Not sure how the pickups compare to those in the Bernie, but the 245 pickups in mine have a voicing that is more modern than PAF. It is cheaper than the Chris Robertson though, so you could upgrade the pickups and probably end up in the same ballpark as the Chris Robertson.

With regards to the Singlecut Satin, I like the fret wire and fret shape more. Not really a cost-effective upgrade for most guitars. USA frets are slightly taller and made from better materials. You also get the input jack assembly from the regular US range which I like much more than that of the SEs. Pickups are very modern though, so you may need to upgrade them. Another plus is the rounded fretboard edges that really feel great when playing. Neck is pattern regular which is slightly different from WF, but still comfortable.

The new SE Robertson (as opposed to the previous EU-only version) has the 57/08 "S" pickup - anybody know what the "S" stands for - is it an "SE" version of the US pickup? It seems like this may be the case when looking at SE vs Core guitars in general. If so, that is something to be aware of.

Tough call...

The Robertson (being new) is in the territory of a used Core Mira (price wise) which is something else I'd look at if I were you. The SE's, all of them, are a ridiculous value. You could grab a SE Standard 245, throw some of the most expensive pickups in it, and still be below the price of a new Robertson.. You could cruise eBay and Reverb for an already upgraded Bernie or 245 too... Or grab an old SE Soapbar.. Or grab a 245 Soapbar used and throw a 57/08 in the bridge for less..

You've got a ton of options. Check out the neck profiles to make sure they'll work for you and then go from there.
What Sergio said, go well looked after used. Let someone else take the hit of buying new.

The Bernie is a great guitar and the Mira is a cracking buy for second hand money.

Happy hunting.

With the pick up combo on the CR, I think you'd be right in your wheelhouse, with respect to the music you mentioned. If your set on buying new, I'd hope all over one of them. However, if you're open to used, you can find some great bargains with a little patience. The Bernie Marsden model,would be great, as would the Mira.

So,much goodness, it would be hard to go wrong. Happy hunting!

With the pick up combo on the CR, I think you'd be right in your wheelhouse, with respect to the music you mentioned. If your set on buying new, I'd hope all over one of them. However, if you're open to used, you can find some great bargains with a little patience. The Bernie Marsden model,would be great, as would the Mira.

So,much goodness, it would be hard to go wrong. Happy hunting!
I don’t have a brother, but with the similarity of our answers it’s like we’re B.F.A.M. Of course you will be my older brother, who doesn’t mind me coming over, bringing vodka and Irn Bru and jamming with you on your fine collection of PRSi!! :eek:o_O:D

Sergio is right (as usual :)), take a look at the Mira. It may just be what you're looking for. Very light, great upper fret access etc.

Honestly, the 597 seems like it was made for me but it's way out of my price range at the moment.

DA**IT!! I have these 594s all laying around here, and my playing still sucks..... I didn't realize what I was missing! If only I had a 24.597" scale length, perhaps that would solve everything?!?!?!?

Kevin

Thanks everyone! I wouldn't have thought about a used Mira. I'm not familiar with the Bernie Marsden. Will add them to the to-check-out list!

I don’t have a brother, but with the similarity of our answers it’s like we’re B.F.A.M. Of course you will be my older brother, who doesn’t mind me coming over, bringing vodka and Irn Bru and jamming with you on your fine collection of PRSi!! :eek:o_O:D

Come on over!

So, question about the Mira? When did it become an S2-only model? Wasn't it originally a core model? Did it change much when it became S2?

I have a core Mira on eBay for a ridiculously low price. It's a great guitar, but I need a trem to get my string bends up to where I want them. That's the price of the last hand surgery.

So, question about the Mira? When did it become an S2-only model? Wasn't it originally a core model? Did it change much when it became S2?

Yes, it was. Handful of changes in the S2 model - 22 frets, Mira pickups, push-pull tone instead of a mini-toggle, adjustable bridge instead of the wraparound.

I have not tried the S2, but I have a core, and it's a guitar that punches above its price point.

I have a core Mira on eBay for a ridiculously low price. It's a great guitar, but I need a trem to get my string bends up to where I want them. That's the price of the last hand surgery.

I won't have a chance to play one before your auction closes. Fingers crossed you get a good price on it!

Back