Chorus pedal

A “fairly pristine clean channel” is an understatement. I have a Rocker 15 and when I was shopping it beat out everything in its class on cleans. I pretty much only use the clean channel. No chorus pedal because I’ve got a reverb and delay that cover that ground adequately enough and no room for more on my PB :)
Yeah and the clean is one dial, so it was very much designed as a pedal platform. I have about 10 pedals now, really one to cover each basic effect or type. The only one I am really missing now is a noise gate (arguable a dedicated flanger). Not really felling the need go into multiple pedals for the same effect. It may be my ear, but I can clearly tell the difference between effects, but I can’t hear significant differences between different versions of a tube screamer, or a between the various Klon clones. Different overdrives can be fun though.

It may be my ear, but I can clearly tell the difference between effects, but I can’t hear significant differences between different versions of a tube screamer, or a between the various Klon clones. Different overdrives can be fun though.
I’m not sure how many genuine Tube Screamers you’ve tried, and the differences take a bit of playing in your environment to become apparent. I’ve settled on an original TS9 as my TS flavor, although I’ve favored the King of Tone when using a pedalboard. I’m now playing with them together to see how that works. I’ve never had the opportunity to own a real Klon, so I can’t comment on them, but I would LOVE to give one a go.

I have to own up, I suppose, to being a touch “pedal snobby” about what I use. Some of the new stuff is just better, and I use it when it is. My normal gig rig for the last 9 years has been an Axe Fx, so I’m not adverse to change. But when it comes to clones of pedals, I normally save my money until I find a deal on a good example of “the real thing.” While clones can sound good, what can sound more accurate and real than the actual thing that was so good it got cloned? So, if I’m going “modeled version” I go all the way in the pool and play the Axe Fx. But when I go hands on, plugging in boxes in certain orders and wiring up power supplies, I prefer the originals. It just makes my mind settle down, forget about whether it’s “close enough” or “right,” and get on with making music. If it sounds good, then it is good. This is more of a disclosure so you understand where I’m coming from than it is a recommendation anyone else do it the same way. It specifically isn’t a “my way is better than your way” statement.

Having cleared that bit of air, I can say that online demos are useful for narrowing down the myriad of options in any music equipment decision, but for us there is simply no alternative to getting the equipment into your signal path, in your playing environment(s), if your intention is to find out what is the best anything for you. I realize it’s not always possible. But with the generous return/swap provisions of many dealers, it’s more than worth your while to take the time to establish a relationship with one sales rep at two good stores so you can try more than one of a pedal type when needed. Having two provides honest competitive pricing, any keeping it to a few assures they make regular sales so that helping you is also helping them and their company. That sort of symbiosis is a great thing. I’ve found what I heard in YouTube demos or “shootouts” to be both dead on, and dead wrong, when I got the same gear in my rig. No two minute tryout has ever shown me the depth of things a week of playing through them can do.

Hint: If you’re going to gig something during your test, the low-tack painter’s tape is a great way to protect exposed surfaces so any returns go back in 100% condition.

Sermon over. Just a PSA for hands-on, ears-on testing. And now, back to your regularly scheduled programming...

Last edited:
I’ve used several choruses over the years that I didn’t like and I just got the new boss waza chorus and I love it. It’s just right for me.

My EHX Deluxe Memory Man is still my all time favorite, and I've tried a bunch. Nothing else sounds quite like it.

In my opinion your choice strongly depends on divers factors connected to the style of music you want to play and if you want to go for the analog, digital or hybrid chorus sound as well.
When you are "the clean sound guitar only guy" for example, I would recommend you the old schooled Electro-Harmonix Electric Mistress pedal used for example by Andy Summers from Police.
If you go for the distorted sound with a chorus pedal the case becomes far more complicated due the fact the many chorus pedals soak the amp/pedal distortion
and the distorted sound becomes weak or muddy or even both at the same time. Here I would recommend you the MXR 234 analog Chorus or nearly any of the Boss made Pedals, if you like the digital sound. The TC Electronic Corona chorus here is an reasonably priced and very well rated chorus as well, with a wide range of adjust options.
If you are more of the ambient post Rock/alternative sound guy who wants to create lush,dark and space sounding soundscapes, you should absolutely try the Walrus Julia analog chorus/tremolo Pedal. Works clean and distorted very well. Generally spoken nowadays you have an incredible ammount of different chorus/delay pedals. It´s a spoilt choice..

PS: Julia is a dangerous but still a beatifull Girl;-)

Last edited:
If you can find one used, I’d highly recommend the Analogman chorus...either one. I use the 2 knob version, and it doesn’t clog your overall sound. I have an original Boss ce-2, (the big one) and the analogman is actually better, in a live situation. Ymmv...

Back