Chorus pedal

rpoce24

Looking for a nice chorus pedal to match up with my CE 24 semi hollow. Right now, I have been using primarily an Orange Rocker 15 amp, which has a fairly pristine clean channel.

Both of the recommendations above are industry standards... I have the TC Electronics unit and it’s my fave, but the CE-2 has been on my pedalboard too and it sounded great too. Can’t miss with either.

Like toothace and RickP, it's hard to beat a Boss CE-2 for a compact classic chorus.

I picked up a Keeley Super Mod Workstation a year or so ago, and it scratches the itch nicely, with some bonus delay, reverb, and phaser/trem options, as well. I replaced the delay pedal on my main board with this, and leave one side set to tap delay and the other set to chorus, then change one side or the other for the special effects.

I LOVE my Truetone H20. It’s a warm, lush chorus and an analog-style delay in one pedal. Very well made, lifetime warranty. It doesn’t do the icy Boss style chorus; the sound is much more organic. Lots of variations on tap too.

https://truetone.com/v3-h2o/
I have an old Visual Sound H2O, and your description is on the money. Great sound, with a lot of warmth.

I've been using a Digitech Hardwire CR-7 for several years and really like it. You get 7 different types of chorus in one pedal so it covers a lot of sonic territory. The only downside is that you can only get them used now and the prices have started to rise on them compared to what I paid just a few years back. The entire Hardwire series is vastly underrated and it's a shame what Harman did to the pedal side of their business.

I have an old Akai analogue Chorus pedal on my board. I believe it was a mid range pedal in its day.

I get some lovely tones from it and it was a steal, which works beautifully with both my SC and HB guitars!

The delay/reverb pedal is pretty versatile as well and not a lot of dough either!

I ended up picking up a TC electronics scf-1 used (only way you can). Do not have it yet, but will be here this week. It is a later model reissue black face one (no purple stripe). I could not justify $350 plus for a true vintage. Most reviews I have read say they all sound the same. Ok some pedal heads swear the late 70’s one sound better, but take that for what it is worth.

Although it's not a straight up chorus pedal, I recently scored the JHS VCR aka the Space Commander. It's essentially a 3 in 1 single adjustment pedal. Vol, chorus, reverb. I am lovin it. The one knob chorus works really well for me and to have another reverb and boost on board is cherries on top. Cheers.

I ended up picking up a TC electronics scf-1 used (only way you can). Do not have it yet, but will be here this week. It is a later model reissue black face one (no purple stripe). I could not justify $350 plus for a true vintage. Most reviews I have read say they all sound the same. Ok some pedal heads swear the late 70’s one sound better, but take that for what it is worth.
I think you’ll like it. The effects it generates are very clear and don’t overtake your whole sound like some do. It’s a very musical effect. They run on AC current, so the sound is quite consistent, too. Joe Bonamassa actually leaves one on all the time to a couple of his amps to give his rig a bit more spread, kind of the way Frampton does with his Leslie cabinet. I want to try Analogman’s Chorus pedal also, but every time I listen to the TC, I put my wallet away again!

PwOp6UJ.jpg

I also have a Voodoo Lab Analog Chorus for old Rush tunes. The VL is supposed to be a clone of the old Boss CE-1. I’ve never compared it to the old Boss unit, but it sure sounds nice.

I should have read the entire thread. You made a stellar choice. And if you don’t like it, you can easily recoup your money. Let us know what you think when it arrives!

Pedal came in yesterday. It is definitely from the end of the run, although not sure how to get a manufacture year off of it. Has a few very minor scuffs on it, but I have seen stuff new out of the box that has more blemishes. Only other not new thing is it is already velcroed, so I do not need to do that. Used it first time today, but have not fully explored it yet. Without much fuss pretty much copied the chorus sound in Limelight basically perfectly.

A “fairly pristine clean channel” is an understatement. I have a Rocker 15 and when I was shopping it beat out everything in its class on cleans. I pretty much only use the clean channel. No chorus pedal because I’ve got a reverb and delay that cover that ground adequately enough and no room for more on my PB :)

Back