Choosing between two guitars

I started writing this yesterday, but got distracted... When I first started typing this I couldn't decide on which guitar I liked better, but as of now I already know.

----

I spent a few hours A/Bing two guitars yesterday and couldn't make up my mind. It reached the point where the shop owner told me to take both home to try through my rig and bring back the one I don't want. Another reason to support your local independent.

Option A: P245 in faded blue jean

I really wanted to like this guitar, but I was afraid it'd be too close to either the Les Paul or McCarty I already have. Truth is it has a lot of mids and is fairly harsh sounding. Clean tones are flat and lack the complexity of my LP or the depth of my McCarty. Dirty tones are good, but tend towards being a little harsh and brittle.

Edit: I swapped the strings (not stock, appear to be D'addario NPS) for a set of Gibson Nickels. Totally turned this guitar around. The harsh overtone is gone and the thing is a crunch monster. It's cleans are still the weakest of the three, but as gain is added it becomes the strongest.

I was worried about overlap, but it sounds nothing like a Les Paul, and although it's similar to the McCarty its carving out its own niche. The P245's thinner, more mid heavy sound jives really well with OD, and you'd swear this guitar was custom voiced for my Wah. Conversely, the much fatter sounding McCarty prefers clean boosts as OD guts it's low end and my Wah has never sounded quite right with it.

The piezos are an added bonus. I was told I needed an accoustic amp to get the most out of them, but (IMO) they sound quite good through the clean channel on my amp. I have a couple of songs with acoustic parts I normally play on electric. This will be a nice alternative.

Photo%202016-05-10%2C%2010%2001%2004%20PM.jpg

Option B: Custom 24

I love the way this guitar sounds and plays. The \m/ pickups are beefy as **** with a ton of low end, yet somehow not muddy. It drives my amp pretty hard, yet maintains articulation and doesn't mush up.

Thing is that I'm not really into Floyds, and the trem arm is in the way of the controls. Not too sure I dig the 2 and 4 positions either.

The neck tone I have mixed opinions on.... it's clean tones aren't that great, thin and kind of plinky. However, with high gain the neck sounds great... Fattens things up for lead without producing the boom/mud a typical 21-22 fret guitar neck pickup has. I always wondered how shredders got that sound out of a neck pickup... and now I know.

Edit: The more I try to play actual songs with this guitar the more I realize the layout doesn't suit my style. I use the controls a lot and having the bar in the way is agrivating and slows things down. I'm sure with time I'd get used to it, but there's a small list of nagging details that make me feel less enthused about this guitar today than I did yesterday.

Photo%202016-05-10%2C%2010%2002%2005%20PM.jpg

The truth is I like both guitars. The Custom 24 is closer to the sound I'm after but the P245's controls are a better match for how I actually play. Yesterday I was fairly certain I was going to choose the Cu24, but now I'm leaning towards meeting in the middle by getting the P245 and ordering a set of \m/ pickups for it.

That was nice of the shop to let you take 'em both home. I can understand why you want to give them your business.

Unless you've made up your mind already, keep looking. There are plenty of CU24's in the world without Floyds and blade switches to choose from.

I like the CU24 over the P245 but I'm with you on the Floyd, a customization that has seen it's day and I'm always surprised to see them on PRSi at shops.
(FYI-The last gtr salesman I talked to said the Floyd models don't move very well and that's why I'm seeing them so much. They kinda sit.)

That said if the P245 fits your bill go for it, but my thought is to hold out for a piece that really gives you no hesitation to purchase.

You can of course get a CU24 without the Floyd, too.
My thoughts exactly. I haven't tried \m/ pickups, but I absolutely love my 85/15s, and my core tremolo, which doesn't get in the way as much as a Floyd. I'm surprised that you aren't very thrilled with the P245. Would your dealer be offended if you passed on both and waited for one you truly love?

Tom

You can of course get a CU24 without the Floyd, too.

True, but they don't come stock with the pickups I want, and the pickups I want (uncovered \m/) aren't available aftermarket.

I know I can pull the covers off the aftermarket \m/s, but at this price point I want squabbins, and I don't want to have to go Artist to get them.

That was nice of the shop to let you take 'em both home. I can understand why you want to give them your business.

Unless you've made up your mind already, keep looking. There are plenty of CU24's in the world without Floyds and blade switches to choose from.

I think I'm going to look for a used one that I can convert to McCarty switching.

My thoughts exactly. I haven't tried \m/ pickups, but I absolutely love my 85/15s, and my core tremolo, which doesn't get in the way as much as a Floyd. I'm surprised that you aren't very thrilled with the P245. Would your dealer be offended if you passed on both and waited for one you truly love?

Tom

The P245 is starting to grow on me. It's tighter and more aggressive sounding than anything I currently have. The more I get a feel for it the more I like it.

that singlecut is just pure bad-ass and beautiful. that would be my choice, but then again i'm a singlecut guy!

To me the most striking part of the original post was the transformation of an expensive guitar resulting from a $5 string change. Perhaps it caught my attention because I too fell in love with the Gibson nickels. Makes one wonder how many guitars were tested and rejected because of string choice.

I gotta say I love the 58/15s in my P245 semi hollow. Ultimately, you've got a tough choice to make. Do what feels right to you. If I were making the choice, and the 24 was really speaking to me, I'd do it, and pull the Floyd for a Mann. Not sure how much work that would be, but if I loved it, I'd look into it.

that singlecut is just pure bad-ass and beautiful. that would be my choice, but then again i'm a singlecut guy!

I avoided Single Cuts because up until recently I was a dedicated Les Paul guy. I don't want to fall into the same trap where I have a wall of guitars that more or less sound similar, and I was afraid the Single Cuts wound be more of what I already have too much of.

I was interested in a piezo guitar, but I was leaning more towards a P22 or the 245 semi-hollow. I saw this P245 on the rack and decided to try it out of curiosity, and to compare it to my LPs.

Happily, it's not a Les Paul; it does its own thing... and I quite like it.

Back