choose a DGT or 594

which one would you buy and why?

• PRS DGT 10 Top

Votes: 22 46.8%
  • PRS USA McCarty 594 Wood Library 10-Top

Votes: 25 53.2%

• Total voters
DGT because I like the neck shape, the frets and the chorus effect the trem makes.

But, it is hard to go wrong with either. I bet 50 bucks that is what will end up happening sooner or later.

For the reasons Sergio mentioned, I opted for DGT. Yes, I adore the DGT, but there are things about the 594 that make it a fantastic addition to anyone’s corral. The DGT frets+trem+pickups are a force to be reckoned with, though the 594’s neck is very comfy and cool, too. If the 594 were a single cut, this would be a harder decision for me.

Last edited:
Both are great instruments. I feel the main difference for me is the scale length. Do you want a 25” more traditional PRS scale or a 24.594” more
LPish scale length? There are other differences with neck carve, pickups, knob placement, etc, but the scale length really shapes the overall feel and sonic qualities for me. I’ve logged a lot of 594 time, but lately I’ve been in a more 25” zone. I came out of the 594 ether relatively recently and fell back in love with the custom 24 (the original love). I think the DGT is a better choice than the custom 24, though, for anyone interested in creamy neck pickup tones. Heck, even a regular McCarty is fantastic, which I don’t feel like I hear anyone talk about anymore after the advent of the 594.

At the end of the day, it should come down to personal choice and BOTH are excellent guitars that would be a great addition to any collection.

Both are 'McCarty' guitars - the DGT was based on the original McCarty and tweaked by Dave Grissom for his signature guitar. Its main difference is that it has a trem bridge instead of a fixed bridge so that may be the biggest factor in your choice. The 594 is a traditional Les Paul type - inc its layout and has a shorter scale length. Both have a 'unique' neck carve - although with the 594 having more options - semi-hollow, hollow, Single/Double cut and available in S2's, there is more choice and price points for this to be accessible.

Really it comes down to you and which you prefer, want or need. The bridge is perhaps the main reason to go for one over the other but BOTH are great guitars!

If neck shape is important to you I'd really suggest trying a 594 before committing to it, unless you have a return window.
The 594 will be a substantially thicker feeling neck that you may not like. I find it better for some things like chording/thumb chording as it fills the hand nicely, but I feel I can't play as fast as on the thinner necks (either way, I make noise).
Between satin and gloss neck I prefer satin necks (slicker feeling), but I kind of forget about that one I'm playing.

I think the most important consideration is what music you intend making with your new guitar?

If it were me, I take the DGT, Rob Harris from Jamiroquai shows how versatile the guitar can be, quite a distance away from where I think David Grissom went tonally for his music. I think there might be a Simon McBride video out there as well, using a DGT.

But hey, you will have your own wants tonally!

Wishing you all the best in your journey.

I like the trem on the DGT but I just got a 594 with the TCI pickups.. Man what a great playing and sounding guitar plus mine is a Single cut.. Bad ass! I'd be hard pressed to choose but actually I did!..
I already have a McCarty purchased in 1998 so I have that base covered.
Maybe something different next time but I do like the DGT looks and the trem.

In these configurations I would take the 594. Because I think the maple neck takes away from the DGT. A true DGT has a mahagony neck.

Reactions: FJ4
I've never tried a DGT, but ever laid my hands on 594s several times and was impressive how well the guitars cleaned up with a broad dynamic range.
To me, DGT looks like a modded McCarty. And since I already own MC and ME, DGT seems a redundant choice for me.

I like both and have owned many DGT’s but currently own a 594 SH. My ideal guitar is a DGT with the 594 neck. I had a PS DC 245 with Trem and DGT electronics that was quite good but I prefer the longer scale length with a Trem equipped guitar.

if you are going for more aggressive rock tones, I would suggest the DGT.

Back