Choices choices...

My Archon 100w is my #1 amp. It is currently sitting on an upright Mesa 2x12 slant cabinet (wheels included) because it fits very nicely there and many people agree that specific cabinet is VERY comparable to a 4x12 cabinet due to the amount of air it has in it as well as arrangement of the V30's. If I had to choose between the Archon 100w and a Mesa 5:25 head, I would go with the Archon.

BTW, I do have a brand new Mesa 5:25 head sitting on a regular Mesa recto 2x12 cabinet (turned sideways) just to have variety but the Archon is a must have IMHO.

You guys are killing me, dissing my V and V25 with all this Archon love. :D I LOVE my V25. I think I'm going to end up loving the big Mark V. I finally got to try an Archon, but it was a 25 so it was a combo. I'd love to try even that one but plugged into my cabs so I could directly compare it to the V25 and Mini Rec.

I will say this with no hesitation. The V25 is a GREAT amp. Best overall lower wattage amp I've ever heard. All kinds of GREAT tones in that amp. The big Mark V might be as well, but I need to quit messing with all the switches and leave it on the same modes and try to dial in great tones. I think all that "stuff" is a bit of a blessing and a curse. Yes, it can do almost anything, but it's so tempting to keep messing with it and see what all it can do. But, I haven't had it that long so I'm still in that stage of finding out what it will do and then deciding which "features" to use to get the tones I want.

That said, I totally get the appeal of the simple "sounds great with everything at noon" amp like the Archon (and Custom 50) with their tone controls that sound good almost anywhere you set them. Vs. a Mesa which you can quickly mess up a great tone when you turn one dial.

You guys are killing me, dissing my V and V25 with all this Archon love. :D

You know what, it's good to like what you like.

It's great to like what you have.

And if you're happy, what's the difference if someone else prefers another thing? I had a Mark V, it's a fantastic amp.

There's no such thing as "better" in the long run, there's only "better for you." And that's going to vary from person to person. Can I get an amen on this? ;)

Back