Chicken or the egg? (Santana/Westie content)

Should I get the brass bridge now?

• Grab the bridge now

Votes: 11 100.0%
  • Wait until you find the guitar first

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Here, I have too many Santanas. Let me send you one as a birthday gift

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Tele295

Maluhia
I haven’t found the right Santana/Westie yet, but I will.

However, I have found a MannMade raw brass bridge, which is what I want to put on said Santana/Westie. Should I grab it now, and keep it on the shelf until I find the right guitar to put it on? I understand these bridges are rare.

I understand these bridges are rare.

That depends. All Mann Made bridges start life as an unplated product. There were a handful of bridges made that were a 1-piece version of the 1980-spec (with 1980-spec saddles) that were left unplated. I would call those rare. If you have one, I’d say stick it in a Westy, a Santana, a Golden Eagle, etc.

Recently, a few red-bronze vibrato bridges with porosity pits were sold without plating. The brass saddles (also unplated) didn’t have any defects. I wouldn’t call those bridges rare at all. I would call them B-stock that were probably sold 'as-is' because the nickel-plating looks pretty bad over porosity pits (I can tell you this from first-hand experience). If I had one of those sitting around I'd... hmmm... keep the idea to myself until it was done. :)

For the record, John was very clear that the later bridges has cosmetic issues in his advertisement. I seriously doubt the pits have any impact on tone.

Last edited:
Yes, John advertised them as having pits and provided plenty of pictures. I love mine and I don’t notice the subtle imperfection.

The purple Santana has gold hardware and the green has the raw brass tremolo.

FD3-C8-C63-115-D-442-F-84-EA-F4781-A26-DEAE.jpg

Ohhh! What’d ya get!?!

I have Gravel-bike fever.

Giant Revolt Advanced 0. A lot of bang for the buck. My LBS said they will have it in on Thursday, super excited to get it. I moved to the TX Hill Country in December, and my Trek Emonda is killing me on these rough roads (plus it needs a different cassette for how steep the hills are). So, I wanted something that I could ride fast on the roads and still explore gravel and dirt. The climbs here are much steeper than CO, though shorter too. I have ridden mountain passes, canyons, and many long rides in CO with the 11-28 cassette on my Trek, and never thought it needed bigger gears. We have several climbs that have 18-25% sections on them in the hill country, and my goal with a 28 is pedal just hard enough not to stop. :p

Back