Check out this PRS '89 Custom Employee Guitar on CL

Texsunburst59

https://nashville.craigslist.org/msg/d/smyrna-1989-prs-custom-guitar-usa/6829888230.html

00q0q_4vBdDWmoLcG_600x450.jpg

Agree with the posts above...but...some of those things actually look pretty close, in a strange, weird kinda way. The PU routes, the neck pocket (showing pre-drilled screw holes on the Set-In neck???), the cavities...all seem pretty damned close?????
The top of the headstock moon carve is all wrong (too symmetrical) , the lower horn carve from the back does look a little wonky...Hmmmm, Pass.

2 hours later... I still think some of these things are close...maybe the employee wanted extra meat in the lower bout cut away for easier upper fret access...And I've unfortunately seen a headstock that got whacked, and reshaped...OR...Original neck replaced cheaply...serial number is just plain silly...the pull-up route around the bridge is questionable...NOT saying its authentic...just interesting. And dammit, I love the top.

Last edited:
The headstock was the one thing that has me skeptical.

I'm not interested in the guitar at all, but just wanted to know what the forum opinion on the guitar was.

If that isn't a fake, it is the poorest-shaped "PRS" to come off that production line! And that serial number! My eyes, they bleed...

And dots, not even moons? What employee would go for birds?

Maybe the "employee" made it in his/her spare time, and didn't quite know what they were doing?

If that isn't a fake, it is the poorest-shaped "PRS" to come off that production line! And that serial number! My eyes, they bleed...

And dots, not even moons? What employee would go for birds?

Maybe the "employee" made it in his/her spare time, and didn't quite know what they were doing?

Or possibly snuck it out the "back door", when no one was watching??? the neck/headstock wings on the back are also close...maybe threw a damaged bolt-on neck in there????

My take is it's real but odd. Nobody counterfeits a guitar with a top like that and winged tuners, with period correct screw locations no less. Still it isn't a production guitar. Shawn probably has it right (of course). Where do HFS II's come in? Never heard of them.

I have often wondered if in the early days of PRS if the crew would build their own guitars from the scraps or rejects. Kind of like me coming into the office to use the copy machine on the weekend. Maybe an employee used some tools/materials to build their own.

My take is it's real but odd. Nobody counterfeits a guitar with a top like that and winged tuners, with period correct screw locations no less. Still it isn't a production guitar. Shawn probably has it right (of course). Where do HFS II's come in? Never heard of them.

These were kinda my thoughts on the guitar as well.

Since I'm not a PRS expert, I figured the VETS here would be able to figure it out.

Back