Cheapest, new guitar you've played that was comfortable and stayed in tune, without modding?

My SE One Korina is holding its own quite well in stock form. If you can still find one, they're like what, ~$700 new?

Wow! These are great stories. Thanks for your replies! It's great to know that there are nice guitars in every price range. The cheapest guitars I've played are a Fender Starcaster (Strat copy, not the semi-hollow) that my mom's old boyfriend gave to me and a mid '70s Yamaha FG-340 that my dad got when he was in college. He gave up playing guitar so he gave the Yamaha to me. I think the Yamaha goes for ~$400 today. The Fender Starcaster came with an amp as a beginner's starter pack. I'd bet they sell for less than $500. I still play the Yamaha occasionally, but the Starcaster has been replaced by two US Strats.

Fender+Starcaster+-+indonesia1.jpg

Best cheapest that would stay in tune is a Jay Turner LP copy that was $200 in 2004 off eBay. Turned my mind around on what guitar should sound like. I still have it.

I had to get hold of a bass quickly about 10 years ago to replace one that had died on me, and picked up a Yamaha BB614 new for about £350 (roughly $400). it's a fantastic player! Its active so has a lot of tonal range and really plays well. I used it in two bands as well as a couple of scratch bands. However am now having to part with it due to having too much gear (including incoming Custom 24), and it's going to a local youth arts project so will do some good.

Will miss it though.....

Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue, bought brand new in 2014, I paid £250 and it's a little belter. I can't believe the price I payed for it and have several mates who are always trying to persuade me to sell it, no way jose!

GirlNke.jpg

As luck would have it, I found the Gibson version while browsing Frailers in Runcorn, and that is one of my all time favourite guitars.

xUIs0rJ.jpg

They make a lovely couple. :)

Epiphone Nighthawk Custom Reissue, bought brand new in 2014, I paid £250 and it's a little belter. I can't believe the price I payed for it and have several mates who are always trying to persuade me to sell it, no way jose!

As luck would have it, I found the Gibson version while browsing Frailers in Runcorn, and that is one of my all time favourite guitars.

They make a lovely couple. :)
Spoons, I remember playing one of those Gibson Nighthawks at my local store when they first came out. I needed the guy to give me Gibson's "cheat sheet" to understand all the switch positions! (I was young... I've since figured most of that stuff out, and can even understand the PRS 509/513/408 these days. I are smart now.)

Spoons, I remember playing one of those Gibson Nighthawks at my local store when they first came out. I needed the guy to give me Gibson's "cheat sheet" to understand all the switch positions! (I was young... I've since figured most of that stuff out, and can even understand the PRS 509/513/408 these days. I are smart now.)

Lol, yes they cover a lot of ground tonally, and they cover it very well. I just bought another Epiphone version yesterday, with upgraded pups. :) If I'm happy with it, I'll probably sell my current Epiphone to one of my mates.

PRS SE SVN. All 7 strings stay in tune. Not just six strings but seven. That’s like, 1 more. :D

I want(ed) to make the SE SVN my first seven string guitar but I didn't have the money when they were around and now that I have the money for one I can't find the Black Cherry SE SVN that I want. Unfortunately the grey black and Holocomb SVN aren't my bag.

I was looking for a cheap travel, outdoor guitar and hoped to find a SE One or SE Standard (or some other SE bargain) - no Luck - got a Epiphone SG (Custom I think - the cheap model) for $100. I had it for a year and it was cool - There were a lot of things I didn't like but it sounded cool, stayed in tune.

I still think the SE standard is the best value out there in the $500 or less range and for a little more you can find a S2 standard

I've had many surprisingly good, under $500 guitars, but most I got used (including a very cool PRS SE EG). By far the best inexpensive new guitar I've ever owned was a 90's MIK DeArmond Jetstar. $200. Not only did it stay in tune, but it played like a dream, and sounded as good as any electric I've ever owned. I just couldn't get into it's 'gumby' shape and eventually sold it. I owned several other 90's vintage MIK DeArmonds - they were great guitars - made by Cort I believe.

A no-name Sears Roebuck Steel-String unplayable guitar. Found in my GrandDad's attic when I was all of 11 years old. Essentially free, it had sat in a chipboard case virtually unplayed since my Dad was a teen. Strings on it it were almost rusted solid to the tuners. Lower bout bellied up, neck bow was thoroughly shot. The guitar never made its way from my Dad's workshop back to playable status.

I gave playing it a shot. And promptly asked my Dad if he'd advance me my allowance so I could buy a nylon string that was for sale in a local classifieds ad. The Sears guitar met its end when my brother stepped on the chipboard case that was in my room. I think I yelled at him, but realized the guitar was worth only sentimental value, not real playable value.

Last edited:
A 2011 PRS Custom 24 I bought for $2700.00 brand new (which I regrettably no longer own) fits that criteria.
Oh that I could buy a brand new PRS for that price now...

Why not used market?
A used PRS S2

I was happy with my Squier Classic Vibe 50 Telecaster stock! It's somewhere there in the video playing with my Singlecut SE:

I ended up mod'ing though... just because...

Why not used market?

I want to disqualify discounted instruments. Used instruments could also feature modifications, such as upgraded tuners or a better quality bridge. I want to find the less expensive, or even the cheapest instruments that still feel good and stay in tune without requiring extra work, excluding a set-up.

Last edited:
I have quite a few super cheap guitars that are fantastic to play nd hold their tuning.

Aiersi Thinline telcaster = £85
50480275231_e9e6178002_b.jpg

Harley Benton Ash Telecaster Esquire (only mod removed neck pickup and new pickguard which I already had in my spares chest) = £65
50480594501_7578cc2887_b.jpg

Harley Benton Ash Telecaster = £90
50569885172_10377d59dd_b.jpg

Kramer Baretta Special = £109
50470848436_aab349c51f_b.jpg

Washburn Paul Stanley Flying V = £109
50508964433_f43e4c8e53_b.jpg

Fullmoon, nice collection! I've wanted to make the Kramer Pacer my first Floyd Rose guitar.

Back