Cheaper Private Stock?

AlexBohlin

Hey everyone! I'm new here, since I had a question I really need an answer to!

So, for a long time I've been seriously considering getting a private stock, and I have an idea in mind.

I want:
A semi-hollow (only one f-hole)
Flamed maple top with a McCarty sunburst finish
Flamed neck and fretboard
Flamed headstock veneer
HSS pickup configuration

Now, here's the question: do I need to have a 10 top, or can it be something less perfect? Because if it would knock the price down a bit, I wouldn't mind having something less intense than a 10-top. Regardless, I know it'd look really good.

And also, does anyone have any idea what this would cost? Any price estimate? Or could I like email PRS and ask for an estimate (though that seems like a waste of their time)?

Any help is much appreciated!

Thank you,

Alex

I once spec'd a plain top single cut to be finished in a trans-orange (like a Gretsch 6120). I only wanted standard Core specs, except a plain fingerboard. IRW for the fretboard/headstock overlay. I wanted the old Paul's Guitar large signature on the headstock in cream plastic. A real "no frills" gig guitar.

I can't give you the price i was quoted, but just say it was still a premium. Bought 2 Cores instead. One new, on used but pristine.

Hey everyone! I'm new here, since I had a question I really need an answer to!

So, for a long time I've been seriously considering getting a private stock, and I have an idea in mind.

I want:
A semi-hollow (only one f-hole)
Flamed maple top with a McCarty sunburst finish
Flamed neck and fretboard
Flamed headstock veneer
HSS pickup configuration

Now, here's the question: do I need to have a 10 top, or can it be something less perfect? Because if it would knock the price down a bit, I wouldn't mind having something less intense than a 10-top. Regardless, I know it'd look really good.

And also, does anyone have any idea what this would cost? Any price estimate? Or could I like email PRS and ask for an estimate (though that seems like a waste of their time)?

Any help is much appreciated!

Thank you,

Alex

There is a floor price PRS charges regardless of model in private stock. We aren’t supposed to discuss pricing per forum rules. However, I’m fairly confident that picking a “plainer” flame top based upon your specs will not result in a significant (or any?) savings. Consult a premier PRS dealer, and they can get your answers.

Look at this $2500 Baby Yoda. Doesn’t that convince you to change your store policies?!?

My Baby Yoda was $2800!! Pshh, it's made with some of Jon Favreau's DNA. All stores should change their policies for me. I'm entitled, deserving, and buy PS guitars and DNA filled collectibles like children eat candy.

And wait and SEE my conniption fit when policies aren't flexed for ME!!! I bought the internet off Al Gore. I am invincible!!!!

I once spec'd a plain top single cut to be finished in a trans-orange (like a Gretsch 6120). I only wanted standard Core specs, except a plain fingerboard. IRW for the fretboard/headstock overlay. I wanted the old Paul's Guitar large signature on the headstock in cream plastic. A real "no frills" gig guitar.

I can't give you the price i was quoted, but just say it was still a premium. Bought 2 Cores instead. One new, on used but pristine.

Thanks for the input, gives me some perspective. No one ever said it'd be cheap to craft your ideal guitar! But basically what I want is just a refinished Studio with some extra, nice additions like flamed neck and fretboard
RWS1Keaxu4LLMH4z9

Or maybe I'll just make my own private stock

They do say that Wood Library models are like half price private stock, and I don't think that comparison is too far off. Maybe talk to some premiere dealerships and ask if they have anything in their WL builds (in store and in production and on order) that might fit most of your needs! But if you have to have everything exactly as you spec, then prepare to pay the price! Best of luck!

Back