Charcoal Burst and black pickup rings

Sorry for the crappy iPhone pic. Black works well for the light colors , too.
On the left a white wash finish with Black rings.
On the right Vintage White with white rings but with the exposed black pickups.
In the middle Charcoal with no rings, black pickups.

Whiteash_Charcoal_VintageWhite_zps6e169ea3.jpg

That is a killer 305!

Sorry for the crappy iPhone pic. Black works well for the light colors , too.
On the left a white wash finish with Black rings.
On the right Vintage White with white rings but with the exposed black pickups.
In the middle Charcoal with no rings, black pickups.

Whiteash_Charcoal_VintageWhite_zps6e169ea3.jpg

I didn't know they'd put the Celtic Knots on a 305, I thought they reserved those for the Collection models.

The Charcoal Burst is a great colour across the PRS range but does anyone think it looks better with black pickup rings, or is it just me? I'm thinking since the back and sides are solid black, black pickup rings may be more, harmonious, with the rest of the look especially uncovered pickups.

Natural maple rings would be awesome to match the binding, but now I'm just being nit-picky :biggrin:

I totally agree with this. Charcoal burst IMHO just looks better with black rings. My next NGD will likely be a charcoal burst guitar and the first thing I plan on doing is swapping out the stock rings for some black rings.

I know everyone on this thread has been asking themselves, "What does John Beef think?" Well, I like creme rings with open coil pickups no matter what color the top is and what color the bobbins are (short of some of those funky colors DiMarzio uses for their bobbins). If the pickups are covered it really depends on the top color - black frequently works but not always. I preferred black rings on a TV yellow-ish guitar I had, also on South89's and Tosca's guitars, also a natural maple 335-ish guitar I had. But for example I was looking at a solid black NOS Korina McCarty the other day and I couldn't figure out why it looked weird to me. Then I figured it out, it had black pickups rings to go with the black paint and it just looked wrong. Needs the creme in that case.

I almost forgot, my Mira has covered pickups with black rings, but if the pickups were uncovered it would look funny with either black or creme. This thread now has inserted the idea in my head that I was as attracted as I was to my Mira only because a previous owner added pickup covers to it. Hmmm. Well, whatever, that guitar is stellar and I will continue to hang on to it, still glad I bought it.

Some very sweet axes in this thread but....the OTHER "charcoal burst with black rings".
I asked the same thing over at another prsforum and asked for pics. Got one photo iirc.
I have a black gray Tremonti (not charcoal burst I know) with cream colored rings and was wondering how black would look. My wife insists I should order some black ones but IDK. Next time I get curious, and you can try this caveman photoshop method too if ...you don't have photoshop...put some black electrical tape on your rings to test the black. It's welfare and lo-tek but it'll show you what you want to see.

Some very sweet axes in this thread but....the OTHER "charcoal burst with black rings".
I asked the same thing over at another prsforum and asked for pics. Got one photo iirc.
I have a black gray Tremonti (not charcoal burst I know) with cream colored rings and was wondering how black would look. My wife insists I should order some black ones but IDK. Next time I get curious, and you can try this caveman photoshop method too if ...you don't have photoshop...put some black electrical tape on your rings to test the black. It's welfare and lo-tek but it'll show you what you want to see.

Always bet on blanc.- Wesley Snipes

I really like the black pick up rings and black hdw too.
with the charcoal burst finish the black rings are a must. the original SCHB is from a friend and the other one is mine

2 x SCHB por aduayer, no Flickr

Hah! I've got the Charcoal black version of the 25th Anniversary CU24, glad to see how it looks compared side by side. Cream/white still kinda works for covered pickups, but yeah makes the whole guitar look brighter.

image-3.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
image-4.jpg
[/URL]

The nick in the headstock allowed me to get an amazing deal. So amazing that I almost feel bad. Almost.

Last edited:
Back