Changing tuner buttons on Phase3 tuners...

jetydosa

So while at the 30th I got me some of the fancy faux bone tuners a'la DGT to put on my MC58.

I slacked the strings, remove the screw that holds the button in, and I cant seem to pull the old buttons off. What gives?

Actually 1 of the 6, came off right away and easily, but the other 5 will not come off even with significant pressure. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Have you tried taking the strings off and turning the tuner button like you were tuning up? Might pop 'em loose.

Thanks for the suggestions however, no luck.

Now all the strings are completely off, all the screws are out, Ive tried prying from every angle and they still wont come off. This is driving me mad LOL

Didn't know you were there on Saturday. I guess I wasn't too social then

I would squirt some WD40 at the screwing opening then let it sit for a while. Then use the old shoe string wrap around the tuner to pull it off.

Try tapping them with a soft fretter's mallet or something similar. Think jar lid methods. Keep the tuners on the header and wrap the buttons with a towel and pull.

crowbar.png

:top:

Well, soaked them with WD40, tapped on them with a hammer (fairly hard, covered with a towel) and wrapped shoelace around them and pulled absolutely as hard as I could and they havent budged. I am at a loss here. :shrug:

Do not use pressure when removing the tuner buttons! Some come off easy, some do not. Take a look in the forum under PTC repair stories and you will see the result of pulling on buttons too hard. I did this on my hollowbody and pulled the head stock apart (see green hollowbody repair. That was an expensive mistake. Now I remove he tuners from the guitar before removing the buttons. Then you can use more pressure(maybe even small mallet or similar) Just clean the shafts well before putting the new buttons on. Takes a little longer, but it's worth it. I hope this helps.

Do not use pressure when removing the tuner buttons! Some come off easy, some do not. Take a look in the forum under PTC repair stories and you will see the result of pulling on buttons too hard. I did this on my hollowbody and pulled the head stock apart (see green hollowbody repair. That was an expensive mistake. Now I remove he tuners from the guitar before removing the buttons. Then you can use more pressure(maybe even small mallet or similar) Just clean the shafts well before putting the new buttons on. Takes a little longer, but it's worth it. I hope this helps.
+1

Back