Changing pu´s on a PRS, is it a sin?

Bernie: Neck:SD Jazz Bridge: BK Covered Rebel Yell
SC Trem: 59/09s
SHSC: Fralin Unbuckers
Tremonti: BK Rebel Yells

I agree...mix, match and swap away!
Keep the originals if you ever sell but until then - MAKE IT YOURS!

As far as your overall question of a balanced pickup - my reclaimed CE is still stock with the 85/15s and the best way to describe them is, they're "polite".
I tend to be a bit rude and really like the 59/09s under gain if you're sticking with PRS flavored. Unbuckers are pretty balanced too and have a pretty decent single coil split sound. It's my "...if I can only bring one gee-tar to the gig" guitar.

Last edited:
...Well, I have done just that and more to my poor old DGT and to this day, I still haven't found the right pickups for the style of music I play.
Take a look at this series of videos by our own CRGTR. His test subject was a DGT Standard known as Mr. Clean (currently hitched at my corral) and he plays through nearly every PRS pickup known at the time plus a few non-PRS options. Still one of the best pickup shootouts ever. You might find something interesting.

Wow! Amazing response, tips and what not :) This forum is a very fresh experience compared to alot of the ones I´ve been on. So many trolls, PC´s and other pretentious fellas so one would´t dare to ask a question. Should have bought a PRS sooner I guess :)

Hopefully put out some clips with end results and I will for sure check out more recent PRS-made and those BKP alot of you guys mentioning!
Thanks again!

You're not getting the complete picture. Before 1990, all PRS guitars were bound with the Ancient Egyptian curse of the Syphlitic Flea. Rather than get bitten and suffer endlessly, I'd suggest you sacrifice a live chicken on your kitchen table under a full moon. Only then can you blunt the curse and achieve tonal nirvana. I heard this from the oracle of PRS.

You're not getting the complete picture. Before 1990, all PRS guitars were bound with the Ancient Egyptian curse of the Syphlitic Flea. Rather than get bitten and suffer endlessly, I'd suggest you sacrifice a live chicken on your kitchen table under a full moon. Only then can you blunt the curse and achieve tonal nirvana. I heard this from the oracle of PRS.

Haha! now that´s more like it! world class :D

o9Hwg9b.jpg

Here's how it works in meme form. You know it's true.

I have Miras in a DGT and a SD 36th anv and Tone Zone in a CU22 ( That CRGTR sold to me ) and a NF3 with 59/09s
Most of mine have the stock pickups but the others have there own thing going

I have 57/08's in an old CE24, Mira pickups in an SE Tremonti Custom, & USA 7's in an SE Singlecut trem. I too have made the fowl sacrifice in order to have the birds. Or as they say......winner, winner, chicken dinner.

Nope not a sin at all. I swapped out the VB/HFS on my Custom 24 Brazilian and am on my 2 1/2 set (changing out the neck pickup again), and I swapped out the #7's on my SC245 to BareKnuckle Mule & RiffRaff (soon to be Mule Bridge).

To me I love the way that my PRS' play and feel. I just hadn't been happy with the tone from the pickups at that point in time. Now I get the best of both worlds!

So... I think the universe is trying to tell me something, in a not-so-subtle fashion. My morning grocery trip ended in this:

5BO3E2kg.jpg

It's been a string of stuff like this going back to the CU24 NGD, and while coincidences are fun and all, it's starting to creep me out a little. :eek:

I would only add that the speaker cab will also contribute.

Absolutely, I´m only playing at home through my Apollo and UAD´s right now so I can make almost anything sound "good" :)

So... I think the universe is trying to tell me something, in a not-so-subtle fashion. My morning grocery trip ended in this:
It's been a string of stuff like this going back to the CU24 NGD, and while coincidences are fun and all, it's starting to creep me out a little. :eek:

I´m looking more and more into the 59/09 instead of the Tom Andersons. I went to a local store and played a CU24 with 59/09 and they sounded very balanced and didn´t have that super brightness/thin high end I hear a little bit in the standard treble.
I didn´t know they were double price of a TA thou! Didn´t make things easier o_O

5BO3E2kg.jpg

That is DEFINITELY a sign!

Back