Changing Out Strap Buttons - Any Risk?

Despite being quite large, I’ve seen failures with the PRS buttons...right CRGTR? :eek: My stint with Schaller started when my Lester came off the button for the 500th time, way before PRS. But my straps all have locks, so...

Never have had a problem with the PRS buttons. I use straps with leather that’s thick enough to stay in place snugly, so maybe that’s part of it.

I’ve seen guitars with Schaller locks fall, mainly when the mechanism on the strap becomes loose, which seems to happen if you don’t check them (Loctite may solve this).

I’m not a fan of metal strap locks, they’re rattly gizmos. With non-PRS guitars I’ve used Grolsch rubber O-rings over the strap button, but I haven’t owned anything but PRS in over a decade, so...

Despite being quite large, I’ve seen failures with the PRS buttons...right CRGTR? :eek: My stint with Schaller started when my Lester came off the button for the 500th time, way before PRS. But my straps all have locks, so...
It's the somersaults. I told you somersaults on stage would be a disaster!:p

When starting this thread, I never envisioned the word "somersaults" being part of it!

Anyhow...I just ordered the Schaller locks...should be here on Wed. Looking forward to getting them installed, and appreciate the help!

I'm also quite large, but I haven't seen any failures w/the PRS buttons. I still use Schallers, though.

When starting this thread, I never envisioned the word "somersaults" being part of it!

Anyhow...I just ordered the Schaller locks...should be here on Wed. Looking forward to getting them installed, and appreciate the help!
Blue loctite the nut that clamps down on the strap and you’ll be good to go.

I'm also quite large, but I haven't seen any failures w/the PRS buttons. I still use Schallers, though.
There’s a video from Experience of CRGTR nearly dropping a white EG headstock first. That’s from memory, so it may be a different model, but the strap fell off. Not strap button failure, but easy enough for a seasoned guitarist to fall victim to a roadie mistake.

13628325_758423587632563_922392623_n.jpg

I'm always very delicate and careful.

Just installed the Schaller strap locks last night...with a bit of locktite on the nuts...good investment of $12.

The US buttons (the wide flanged ones that look suspiciously like Jazz Bass string retainers) work pretty well, but I don't know to what degree the drilled hole and screw vary from the SE buttons. With the US buttons, I carefully unscrew them, thread a suede strap and a rubber strap block (the red or black ones that look suspiciously like draft beer bottle coupling washers) onto the button sleeve, then carefully screw them back in till they're just snug. No issues whatsoever for me, and I'm also a pretty big guy. Only downside is that you have to adjust the strap first, cause you wouldn't want to do this often.

I use a PRS strap on my S2 Custom 22 as well - and "never say never" - but it seems to hold great on mine. Love those large strap buttons.

7hfS3O8.jpg

Just installed the Schaller strap locks last night...with a bit of locktite on the nuts...good investment of $12.

Should be golden. The best case scenario is using the PRS stock screws if they fit inside the Schaller buttons. I think the older ones ran pretty tight. Snug down the screws but don't tighten the hell out of them and the mahogany will grip them pretty good. Sometimes they loosen up a bit, so check them every few months and snug them down if they need it.

I had to use the Schaller screws as the PRS screw heads were too wide to fit inside the Schaller button.

Thanks for starting this thread. Even though I knew the guitar was a hunk of wood, for some reason I was fearful as well. Screws and wood are good, stay away from nails though. Nails and guitars wood don't go as well together.

I really wish I could have used the old PRS screws, but that was not in the cards. I do think it will be OK though. Worst case is if they do come loose I can put a drop of glue on them, but I don't think that will be needed. The security (and easy removal) of the strap outweigh the potential of them coming loose.

I really wish I could have used the old PRS screws, but that was not in the cards. I do think it will be OK though. Worst case is if they do come loose I can put a drop of glue on them, but I don't think that will be needed. The security (and easy removal) of the strap outweigh the potential of them coming loose.

Are you using the Schallers on a US model or an SE model?

I have never had to use the Schaller screws, always just used the PRS screws.

SE model. The screw sizes were very close. But the Schallers are very very slightly shorter and have a slightly smaller head diameter. The PRS screw head would not fit inside the Schaller button.

Back