Changing out pickups

I really like Lindy Fralin Hight Output humbuckers. I use them in my 2019 Santana Retro and one of my older Cust24. Higher output with nice overtones. Dirty up quick and clean up well. I like to play with guitar volume around 6-7 turn up to 10 during some lead parts.

Reactions: Paz
Keep your 85/15 until you are sure you don't think you'll want to swap back at least. I'd keep it with the guitar, if it were me. But....you could recoup a good chunk of cash though. Tough call....your call though.

The only way to get new (not used) PRS pickups for your guitar that aren’t available in the accessory shop on this website, you’ll drop $$+ at PTC and have to ship your guitar for installation. If you decide to sell your existing 85/15s, you shouldn’t have any trouble, as you might have noticed after chumming the waters. ;)

Howdy gang,

I’m probably going to change out my 85/15 bridge pickup on my cu24 for something a little hotter (probably bare knuckle) if anyone’s done this and has any suggestions on what’s good, please let me know!

Now I know these squabbin pickup rings are slightly different to normal, Will this be a problem for me?

Well, you have many various options here, but it strongly depends on what you are wanting to play(?)
The 85/15´s lays from the output level between the 57/08(lower gain) and 59/09(moderate higher gain).
I consider the 59/09 Pups as one of the best I´ve played so far. Like them better than PRS-HFS Pups.Own both. But they are expensive though.
You can also try various BKP´s, but as I´ve said it depends what you want and they are also pricey.
The Holy Grails are more into the 80ies Hard Rock/Metal style.Have em in a Hamer doublecut.
Painkillers are definetely metal orientated Pickups with mid-scooped chugga, chugga influence if you try the ceramic magnet option.
Nailbombs seem to be a kind of allrounder which cover much styles from Stoner, Punk and Hardcore to Death Metal. I´ve received a set of them today, but I have no idea in which PRS I have to swap them in. No idea yet, how they will sound.
Rebel Yells are more into Hard Rock, modern Rock(not Metal) and Alternative.
The PRS \m/ Metal Pickups are a insider´s tip. Not many players use them with other guitars. IMO they are strongly underrated. Good cleaning up and string separation.
Last but not least you can go for the Suhr Aldrich. It receives great reviews and seems to be an allround Pick up as well for different aggressive styles of Rock/Metal. But they are from the start generally pretty mid-ranged.

Note also that the wood character of your PRS strongly influences your sound, no matter what kind of Pups you will use.

Hope, it could help a bit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Paz
Well I’ve found a second hand bare knuckle holydiver that I’m going to try out. I will report back with my opinions!

I like the Seymour Duncan JB, and this is apparently a better version of that so sounds good!

Just out of interest, one of the big positives I've heard about PRS Humbuckers is how good they sound in single coil mode.

How do people find aftermarket pickups compare?

Howdy gang,

I’m probably going to change out my 85/15 bridge pickup on my cu24 for something a little hotter (probably bare knuckle) if anyone’s done this and has any suggestions on what’s good, please let me know!

Now I know these squabbin pickup rings are slightly different to normal, Will this be a problem for me?
I know I'm a bit late, but I love 85/15's. And I play Hard Rock/Metal. If you do swap, try a PRS \M/ "Metal pickup. That's my number 1 favorite Treble PU. 85/15 is my second favorite. I pair a 58/15 TM Bass with the two options I just mentioned.

I’ve decided to stick with the 85/15’s after a lot of faffing and pickup swaps!

Same here. Went with couple of BKP sets and came back to 85/15. Great pickups once properly adjusted

I know I'm a bit late, but I love 85/15's. And I play Hard Rock/Metal. If you do swap, try a PRS \M/ "Metal pickup. That's my number 1 favorite Treble PU. 85/15 is my second favorite. I pair a 58/15 TM Bass with the two options I just mentioned.
What amp do you play through? I think if I did change pickups now, I’d stick with PRS pickups. I’ve set the bridge pickup quite low, and it sounds pretty good so far. A2 magnet as well I believe in the bridge pickup, A5 in the neck.

Just out of interest, one of the big positives I've heard about PRS Humbuckers is how good they sound in single coil mode.

How do people find aftermarket pickups compare?
To be honest I never really had the pickups in long enough to try the different modes, others on here will probably have a better idea than me.

What amp do you play through? I think if I did change pickups now, I’d stick with PRS pickups. I’ve set the bridge pickup quite low, and it sounds pretty good so far. A2 magnet as well I believe in the bridge pickup, A5 in the neck.
I went through a phase of experimenting with other brands. But ultimately I always came back to PRS pickups.

I'm 100% Kemper now for the last year and a half. Kemper Stage to be exact. But I do have a few tube amps. My main tube amps are the MT15 and a Diezel Herbert MK3.

Back