Changes to SE line over time

Hotfuzz

I just picked up in 2009 SE 24 Custom. It is my first PRS and I'm mildly obsessed with it. Just out of curiosity, what has changed about the SE line from 2009 until now? Is the build quality about the same? How about electronics and such? I imagine the pickups are different. I'm curious if the quality of my guitar is similar to that of a new SE 24 Custom.

I believe one of the major changes was that they got the slightly beveled top, as older models had a flatter top. I know recently there have been some pickup changes as well. Wish I could be of more help!

In terms of quality, it's pretty much the consensus that the SE line is, and always has been, on par with the best quality guitar you can get in the given price range. I don't know if "quality" has been improved, per-se, but many would probably say that the "design" has been improved. However, there are probably plenty of people who prefer the traditional design.

In terms of changes, a few things I can think of...

Your 2009 should have a flap top, like cshallcross mentioned, and the newer ones have a beveled top. Pickups have definitely changed, along with coil splitting via a push-pull tone pot. Also, the 2009 should have the traditional volume/tone/3-way toggle setup. The newer Custom 24's all have opted for a blade switch on the lower bout of the body.

New in 2017 was the newer headstock logo that more closely resembles the signature seen on the core (US) models.

Also, I believe manufacturing has been moved from Korea to Indonesia (which I believe is really of no consequence, but a change nonetheless).

I'm sure there are more changes that people will chime in with...

Last edited:
Manufacturing of the SE Standards occurs in Indonesia - the rest are still made in South Korea.

Pups have changed in many ways indeed over the years, the most recent being a switch to the "85/15S" instead of the SE take on the VB/HFS combo in many models.

Good info thanks to all. I was planning on a pickup swap and getting the guitar set up to my liking. It’s definately a keeper. I just wanted to be sure there hasn’t been any earth shattering changes to the line that would make putting any money into an older one not worth it. Sounds like I’d be well served with some light mods and professional set up.

I have a 25th Anniversary SE CU24, which aside from some esthetics is the same as yours. I love it! Have made some changes, pickups, tuners, and nut, but I use it all the time.

I have a 25th Anniversary SE CU24, which aside from some esthetics is the same as yours. I love it! Have made some changes, pickups, tuners, and nut, but I use it all the time.

Did you happen to use the graphtech xl nut? That’s the one I had my eye on. Also, the best luthier in my area that I could find quoted me $100 for a nut change and set up. Sound about right to you?

Did you happen to use the graphtech xl nut? That’s the one I had my eye on. Also, the best luthier in my area that I could find quoted me $100 for a nut change and set up. Sound about right to you?

Yes, I did use the Tusq XL nut. $100 is maybe a tad steep but not unreasonable I suppose. But honestly, I did mine myself - and I'm not an incredibly handy person. The Tusq nut makes it really easy because it's already pre-cut. If you think you'd be interested in trying it yourself, I'd be glad to tell you more about how I did it.

Back