Changes and questions

Discussion in 'Electric Instruments' started by Lyric, Jan 19, 2020.

1. Lyric

Lyric New Member

So I couldn’t take the stock pickups in my new PRS SE Custom 24 so I invested in new pickups and went with Seymour Duncan. So anyways I have the new pickups in and I believe everything is good but I need to double check with some of the pros here.

Seymour Duncan Color Codes:

All Seymour Duncan humbuckers with four-conductor hookup wires incorporate a standard wire color code.

GREEN = start of adjustable/south coil
    RED = finish of adjustable/south coil
    BLACK = start of stud/north coil
    WHITE = finish of stud/north coil

For standard series humbucking operation on a 4-Conductor wired humbucker the White & Red wires are soldered together and taped; Green is ground and Black is Hot Output. The bare wire is always grounded.

PRS Color Codes

I’m not so sure.

I tried starting out wiring the Seymour Duncan’s using same color wiring the PRS pickups use but that was a quick fast no lol. So I had to run the wires according the Seymour Duncan and with what I thought was correct.

Pic of the Tone with push/pull

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/49407018718/in/album-72157712644732276/lightbox/

As you can see in the pic, PRS has Green/White of each Humbucker going to this. For Seymour Duncan I had to wire Red/White of the Seymour Duncan to these areas.

Pic of the 3 way blade

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/49407027838/in/album-72157712644732276/lightbox/

As you can see PRS had the Red wires of the Humbuckers going to the 3 way, instead with the Seymour Duncan’s I had to use the Green Wire of the Humbuckers had to go in place of the red wires.

In the pic you also see PRS used the black wire and the bare wire soldered to the 3 way blade

<<<<<<<——————— This is my area of help needed. Should the green wire on the Seymour Duncan’s be wire to the 3 way blade or should it be the black wire? I was think the Green wire on Seymour Duncan’s was ground. And does the other connections seem right? What’s ground wires and what’s what on the PRS SE Humbuckers? Should the SD green be ground or should the SD black be ground? And which should be soldered to the 3 way switch in place of the PRS red wires on the 3 way blade?

Current as it is,,,

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/49407681307/in/album-72157712644732276/lightbox/
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/49406997593/in/album-72157712644732276/lightbox/

Pickups look great I think and the guitar looks better. I also changed the knobs to the PRS Core knobs. I have the PRS ivory pickup rings, nut and 1040 MannMade Bridge coming tomorrow.

Thanks

#1 Lyric, Jan 19, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2020
  2. Lyric

Lyric New Member

I think I might have figured it out possibly. I think green needs to be my ground wire and black is hot which will go to my 3 way.

3. Andrew Paul

Andrew Paul The cat's meow

Everything’s on the Seymour Duncan webpage

garrett likes this.
  4. Andrew Paul

Misunderstood your post before, I can’t see the photos. Don’t have a Flickr account. if you haven’t figured it out, I put Seymour Duncan’s in a Santana years ago I’ll go back and see if I have any photos of the wiring but I might not. Don’t have that guitar anymore

5. garrett

garrett knows just enough to be dangerous

6. Lyric

Lyric New Member

yeah I’m thinking I possibly was running green as hot and black as the ground. But I believe now that hot is black and the green is ground, would you believe this to be correct?

thank you

7. Lyric

Lyric New Member

8. garrett

Either way is fine. Black to Green is reverse of the norm, but it is one way to get screw coil when you split to ground. As long as you do both pickups the same way, you won't run into any phase issues.

PRS split to screw coil on the SE guitars. Not sure if the SE guitars have started doing the split resistor thing like on Core and S2, but on the older ones the pickups are reverse polarity so one splits to ground and the other to hot to give hum cancelling in the middle position.

9. Andrew Paul

OK, Garrett can help you best. I only wired Seymour Duncan pickups with 3-way toggle and push poll tone. I never wired them to a five way switch. I don’t think I can be much help, sorry.

10. Lyric

Lyric New Member

yeah I’m running the same. 1 vol, 1 tone/push pull and 3 way blade.

11. Lyric

Lyric New Member

I have made the photos on flickr public now so you should be able to see them. Thanks

bodia likes this.
  12. Lyric

Lyric New Member

I am really unsure how they wired here. I have made my Flickr photos above public so you should be able to see them.

The photos are of the stock wiring.

13. garrett

That's just a straight-forward coil split. Black is start of slug and Red is start of screw. Don't know which is which, but green/white are the finish. So when you pull up, you should have screw coil of each pickup with no hum cancelling.

14. Andrew Paul

Ok I’ll check it out

Lyric likes this.
  15. Lyric

Lyric New Member

ok so with the Dimarzio wiring and Dimarzio colors which way should I wire up the new DiMarzio pickups?

So in the pic (Flickr pic) of the stock PRS wiring with both Humbuckers green/white wires soldered to the push/pull. So with the DiMarzio Humbuckers I used red/white wires here. The DiMarzio black wires I soldered to the 3 way switch, the PRS wires that were soldered here were the red wires. The DiMarzio green wire I grounded, PRS black sure was ground.

DiMarzio Green - PRS Black
    DiMarzio Black - PRS Red\
    DiMarzio White - PRS White
    DiMarzio Red - PRS Green
    DiMarzio Barr - PRS Bare

Does this sound right

PDC likes this.
  16. Lyric

Lyric New Member