Changed String Brand, Now They Catch on the Nut When Using the Tremolo Arm

sixstringoverdrive

Hey Everyone,

I bought a Silver Sky SE and finally changed the strings recently to NYXL 10-46. Now, when I use the tremolo arm, the strings catch (in the nut slots) and some jump wildy out of tune.

Is this normal? I'd rather not drive to get the nut slots recut. Debating buying the PRS strings again, though I prefer NYXL.

Thanks!

Sometimes changing string brands will require touching up the nut slots even if the packaging states that both sets are the same size. I’ve measured different string brands with calipers before and the strings are not aways the same size. If lubing the nut slots doesn’t work you’ll need to have the nut looked at if you still want to use the NYXL. If you’re handy with your hands It might be good for you to invest in a set of files and look on YouTube on how to cut the nut yourself, it’’s not that hard and if you play long enough I guarantee this won’t be the last nut you’ll need work on, so consider it’s a good investment.

apply some graphite or nut sauce. It should help. Also make sure you wrapped the strings appropriately. I don’t get why PRS changed the way they wrapped in the silver sky SE compared to other vintage style tuners like the 594.

Get some Big Bends Nut Sauce for the nut slots and saddles. Been using it for years. Accept no substitutions.
I used to use the NYXL’s but I notice that they feel stiffer, heavier than say GHS Boombers or Ernie Balls….in the long run, I went to using other brands

Sometimes changing string brands will require touching up the nut slots even if the packaging states that both sets are the same size. I’ve measured different string brands with calipers before and the strings are not aways the same size. If lubing the nut slots doesn’t work you’ll need to have the nut looked at if you still want to use the NYXL. If you’re handy with your hands It might be good for you to invest in a set of files and look on YouTube on how to cut the nut yourself, it’’s not that hard and if you play long enough I guarantee this won’t be the last nut you’ll need work on, so consider it’s a good investment.
I built a guitar in the early 90s where I made my own nut from a blank, using the nut slotting files from Stewmac. Over the years, that investment has paid off big time. PRS generally does a good job, but the vast majority of factory guitars come with a nut slotted too high and it affects the feel way more drastically than many would imagine. Being able to take care of that yourself is really helpful.

If you have one or two guitars and those are going to be your lifetime instruments, then just pay a pro to take care of it. Otherwise, some basic tools and a little practice will pay dividends.

Back