Changed my mind

I Became A Time Lord this morning.

Having seen Archtop's post with the link to the That Pedal Show's demonstration/comparison of the Chase Bliss Automatone, Into The TPS Binge-Watch Tardis Went I...

On the right side of the YouTube feed are irresistible alien attention magnets making one watch more TPS shows. I read Archtop's post at around 9:30. It's now 12:30, and I finally had to stop.

The rest of you aged during that three hours. I, however, traveling at light speed in the Tardis did not age. Einstein was right. I'm still the same age I was at 9:30.

Fine, prove otherwise!

[A little joke, physicists, not a challenge, K?]

The demo/comparison was interesting. For the right person, the Chase Bliss Automatone is a wonderful tool for tone shaping. Watching the TPS guys put it through its paces reinforces my earlier impression of the pedal; it's crazy versatile.

I, on the other hand, am most certainly not that right person. Could I work with it? Sure. It's not really very complicated. Would I want to work with it? Probably not, and there's a reason for this:

I know the power of turning a knob that does just one thing. This is a lesson I learned with synthesizers. Dedicated knobs are fast. Reach for the right knob, give it a little turn, and you're done. All you have to remember is what the knobs do, and usually they're clearly labeled.

I have two overdrives on my pedalboard, and two different boost pedals. I use them more for color and tone shaping than for increasing gain. Each pedal is fast and easy to use. Three or four knobs, set it to the tone I want, allowing for small tweaks during recording sessions - in which case I simply turn a dedicated knob - et voila! Done!

Granted, once you dial in tones with the Chase Bliss, you can save them. But if you want to tweak, I felt there were too many things to diddle around with. Yes, this gives you tons of access to more features, and for the right person, it's just great.

And then I watched a crap ton of other TPS and saw a bunch of shows I've missed. So back to the Tardis tonight. ;)

I Became A Time Lord this morning.

Having seen Archtop's post with the link to the That Pedal Show's demonstration/comparison of the Chase Bliss Automatone, Into The TPS Binge-Watch Tardis Went I...

On the right side of the YouTube feed are irresistible alien attention magnets making one watch more TPS shows. I read Archtop's post at around 9:30. It's now 12:30, and I finally had to stop.

The rest of you aged during that three hours. I, however, traveling at light speed in the Tardis did not age. Einstein was right. I'm still the same age I was at 9:30.

Fine, prove otherwise!

[A little joke, physicists, not a challenge, K?]

The demo/comparison was interesting. For the right person, the Chase Bliss Automatone is a wonderful tool for tone shaping. Watching the TPS guys put it through its paces reinforces my earlier impression of the pedal; it's crazy versatile.

I, on the other hand, am most certainly not that right person. Could I work with it? Sure. It's not really very complicated. Would I want to work with it? Probably not, and there's a reason for this:

I know the power of turning a knob that does just one thing. This is a lesson I learned with synthesizers. Dedicated knobs are fast. Reach for the right knob, give it a little turn, and you're done. All you have to remember is what the knobs do, and usually they're clearly labeled.

I have two overdrives on my pedalboard, and two different boost pedals. I use them more for color and tone shaping than for increasing gain. Each pedal is fast and easy to use. Three or four knobs, set it to the tone I want, allowing for small tweaks during recording sessions - in which case I simply turn a dedicated knob - et voila! Done!

Granted, once you dial in tones with the Chase Bliss, you can save them. But if you want to tweak, I felt there were too many things to diddle around with. Yes, this gives you tons of access to more features, and for the right person, it's just great.

And then I watched a crap ton of other TPS and saw a bunch of shows I've missed. So back to the Tardis tonight. ;)

Yup!!!

I use a Helix for effects with my Mesa MK V, but I used to use individual pedals with the amp. For me, being able to pre-program all the FX changes for each tune and eliminate the tap-dance (using snapshots) outweighs the hassle of trying to tweak on the fly. I hope you are at least going to use a programmable loop switcher?

I use a Helix for effects with my Mesa MK V, but I used to use individual pedals with the amp. For me, being able to pre-program all the FX changes for each tune and eliminate the tap-dance (using snapshots) outweighs the hassle of trying to tweak on the fly. I hope you are at least going to use a programmable loop switcher?

Probably not. I tend to play jam band type stuff, so may use different stuff on the same song depending on the night. Sometimes you feel like a phaser....sometimes you don't.

Amen brother! I’m 100% on board with this mindset. I use digital all the time, because I have too…. I still prefer analog.
I'm also of the opinion that faders (a opposed to knobs) are not the right choice on anything that isn't going to sit at table height. Sure, faders look cool. But when you bend down to tweak a pedal, a knob is more ergonomic than a fader. It isn't even close.

when I really thought about what bugs me, it's that I miss easy adjustments. I just don't want to have to dig through menus, or hook up my laptop - I want the knobs right in front of me, easily turnable.
This is why I went HeadRush. You touch the pedal and the parameters come up. Turn the knobs and BANG! DONE! Hit save and it will stay with the new settings. Can't get much closer to analog pedals than that. But then there is the adjustments that you can't make on those pedals that are specific to what frequencies you want to cut our boost specifically. You COULD go diving into menus if you wanted to ..... but there really is no need to to make adjustments on the fly. AND I am using it in front of a tube amp mainly for the effects (Though in church I just use a stock head and cab that is already on board and it works for me). I am currently in the studio recording with it.. . . . ..It is really helpful to be able to adjust easily. Definitely different tones for live applications that it is for recording. It has done well for me in both situations.

One of the beauties of this forum - the willingness of members to help a fellow forum brother carry his load.

Side note to DTR: Do not refer to your wife as a 'load'. Just trust me on this one.
Believe it or not, I can probably get away with that one… she only weighs 105lbs, so weight jokes don’t bother her much.

:eek::eek::eek::eek: What???? We get past that stage? WHEN??????? I mean… like how old ARE YOU? :oops:

Dang. This is scarier than Sergio telling me I didn’t rock. What will my wife think when I quit ogling her??? :(:( I’m doomed!
Let me put it this way……..ogling hot babes is till I die. Talking to them will probably get me a wrinkled nose with an ewwww. I just don’t want to be the creepy old guy who was there when Lincoln was inaugurated.

Back