change strings se cu24 9s to 10s

guitargray

Old Member
Hi all
i want to change from 9 guage to regular 10 guage strings.
i guess the nut may need a little file.
will i have to adjust the trem.(it frightens me)
i usualy lock down my strat trem but this one seems to work and i dont want to mess it up..
any help or advice greatfully taken onboard
Thanks
Gray

You may or may not need to file the nut, however you will need a slight adjustment on the trem and maybe light truss rod tweak.

I just Hybrid 9-46 so bottoms are 10s and lights are 9's and they balance quite well.

I just Hybrid 9-46 so bottoms are 10s and lights are 9's and they balance quite well.[/QUOTE]

i have a few sets of 9-46 . never tried them.
so i guess just light tweeks on nut trem truss , with these strings.

The trem adjustment isn't hard. Just slightly screw in the two screws that hold the trem plate in the back. That will tighten the springs a little and when it is in tune and the trem is parallel with the body, you're done.

Gray, I used to feel the same fear. But after you do it once it's like BWAHHAHAHAHA and you get more and more confidence to tackle stuff. And it's F-U-N and you can save alot of money by doing stuff yourself.

I used to put .10s on all my SEs and very little nut filing was required. BUT if you're adventurous you can get a USA PRS nut (a worthwhile upgrade) and a little superglue and not have to worry about widening the nut slots as they are cut for 10s.

Gray, I used to feel the same fear. But after you do it once it's like BWAHHAHAHAHA and you get more and more confidence to tackle stuff. And it's F-U-N and you can save alot of money by doing stuff yourself.

I used to put .10s on all my SEs and very little nut filing was required. BUT if you're adventurous you can get a USA PRS nut (a worthwhile upgrade) and a little superglue and not have to worry about widening the nut slots as they are cut for 10s.

USA nuts are the bomb!

What hesitations would you have in adjusting the trem? I've gone all the way down to 12-54's in several PRS guitars, albeit in dropped C. But there wasn't anything particularly confounding when it comes to setting my guitar up to accommodate that, nothing particularly out of the ordinary or awry for what it's wroth.

If all you’re doing is going up in string gauge, and the trem is floating already, it’s really easy. It’s just the 2 trem claw screws, and a little truss rod tweak. If the strings are binding and it won’t stay in tune, just drag an old string across the nut slot. Use 1 gauge lower then the original. Use a wound E in the A string slot, etc. If you have a bigger string on another guitar, drag that for the low E.

Look at the Trem as a seesaw.Stringtension on one side and springtension on the other side.If you change from 9s to 10s Trem will tilt forward.If you change from 9s to 8s the Trem will tilt back.In your case you need to tighten the springs with the two claw screws as already mentioned.When Trem is floating perpendicular to the body you’re done.Plus nutfiling and trossrod adjustments of course :)

Last edited:
WOW! what a great bunch of non judgmental folks you all are.
great advice.
I think i was worrying as this is the first good (GREAT) guitar i have owned.
Q1. what usa nut for my korean se custom 24 ?
Q2. why is there a 5th spring in my accessories bag ?
thanks again for the help.
Gray

A1: You can get the PRS nut. A lot of people use that or Tusq or a bone nut. Mostly depends on whether or not you have a preference.
A2: Depends on how stiff you want the trem. You can add it to make the trem very stiff. Or you can treat it as an extra.

Back