Change from PhaseII to PhaseIII tuners on 2008, PRS Custom 24, possible.

JEM10th

Recently I bought a new set of PhaseII tuners and replaced the wornout original PhaseII´s on my PRS. Made it better but still it feels a little unstable when tuning up the guitar.
Therefore I am considering tring to exchange the original PhaseII for the newer PhaseIII to see if they make me more comfortable to use.
Questions that is popping up due to thoughts that they are not so cheap to buy is:

Is it even possible to do that without redrilling the original "big holes" that are through the guitars head in wich you stick the tuners?

I know thathe smaller holes for the guiding screws at the bak of the neck is in different positons andthey are my least problem :)

Have anyone tried tis before me and willing to share the experience and/or have the measures of the tuners would be really great :)

Thanks in advance :)

Your tuners "wore out" in 6 years? I don't think I've ever had a guitar where that happened!!

I have not seen this Before on a PRS, too, You can be turning them between a quarter turn and a half laps, before something happens in tone.
My old -92 PRS Cusom 24 10 TOP "winged tuners" did not behave so "cheap" as this is. :(
I am truly dissapointed, even the new replaced does not feel "quality". :(
Thats why I´d like to try PhaseIII tuners.

I believe you are feel a difference in the gear ratio difference between wings and Phase 2.
you have to turn a lot so the tuning is more accurate.

You can be turning them between a quarter turn and a half laps, before something happens in tone.

Have you tried tightening the screws a little on the top of the tuner keys? I had a few tuners with a little "slop" and tightening the screws fixed it.

Tried to tighten them up but there were still a looseness that feels as if it is too large clearance between the "cogs i the gears". The new set is good. And my question is if there is a differece in the dimension of the holes that you put the tuners through the neck (between PhaseII and PhaseIII)??? All info would be great. :)

Is it just my keyboard that behaves irraticly in this forum? :p
New set is good but feels not so stable , hence my wish to test PhaseIII instead. :D

Is there any way to achieve some measurement specifications of the PhaseII and the PhaseIII tuners?
:)

I would love to change from IIs to IIIs but the extra hole is just not for me and the cost to have it done is $$$$

Yes I agree with you that it will be an extra hole. This is a well worn player with its scratches and dings, so its not that important to keep extraholes, wich noone yet been commented it when i am out on gigs because they just cant see it. Its a matter of "knowing" ;)
But there could have been a more compatible solution, so the "existing" hole could be used if one wants to uppgrade. I am Satisfied, I got answer to my long question about size and fit between the 2 models....and I hope this will work smoother now, or else perhaps back to "Vinged" would be a nice try too ;)

They work like butter!!! Totally satisfied. Mission accomplished and I am now a Happy Smurf again :D :D :D

Tried to measure but i realized that they have the same measures when it comes to "height" and "needed main hole". The bushings are going in with a Little help och a "nut and bolt with washers between" as seen in one pic. Were afraid it might be too loose but that is no worries. Seems like "my holes" is "coned" with a slightly bigger hole from the back of the head, tightning up as it goes out at the front of the guitar head. 10mm holes. :)

Back