Change 5 way switching to 3 way

Torstein

Hi! I have a 2006 Custom 24 with a 5 way rotary switch that I want to replace with a 3 way. Would I need something more than the 3 way switch itself? Is there a three way rotary or regular switch that won't require me to enlarge the hole? Are there any resistors/caps or something that I'll need to change out? Thanks!

Yes, if all you want is to go from 5-way rotary to 3-way, you just need the toggle - and you will indeed need to slightly enlarge the hole. But If you are interested in coil split sounds, you’ll want to get a push-pull pot too. In addition, you’ll likely want to add resistors the way PRS does to blend in a smidge of the slug coils to reduce hum and prevent massive volume drop. Look at the CE24 wiring diagram on the PRS website for reference:

prs_ce24_wiring_schematic.pdf

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I was hoping there was a three rotary switch as I like the uniform look of having only knobs and no switch.

I guess I have rotary 5-way wiring per how they did it in 2006. I think there's 59/09s in there and have little use for the in-between positions. Is there anything you guys would do to the wiring etc. to make those positions more useful?

I've also been looking at the Fralin Unbuckers which supposedly are made to split better.

But my plan was to really call it a day and just put in a three way.

Unless the pickups were swapped you don't have 59/09. They came out around 2009. I'd guess you have HFS/VB pickups. No experience with a 3 way rotary but there's one made.

Unless the pickups were swapped you don't have 59/09. They came out around 2009. I'd guess you have HFS/VB pickups. No experience with a 3 way rotary but there's one made.
The previous owner installed them, that's what he said he did, at least.

Back