Ch-ch-ch-changes

Upon further review...

Today after watching the Michigan-Maryland game, I got in some good practice time, and realized that it’s not so much a matter of which amp is my favorite, it’s which amp works best for me for a certain style of play. So if I’m spending more time in one style than another, it becomes my de facto favorite. Change the project, and I can be back to the other amp.

I guess I don’t have a #1.
Yeah I get that...
Being a cover band dude, I can get lost in a certain tone for hours. Flip a switch and there goes another hour. Need to learn something new? There goes another new adventure.

Yeah I get that...
Being a cover band dude, I can get lost in a certain tone for hours. Flip a switch and there goes another hour. Need to learn something new? There goes another new adventure.

There’s something good to be said about cover bands - you learn parts and don’t get stagnant, if all goes well.

I am in a creative rut of major proportions right now, even though I sit down and record a lot, I’m not happy with what I’m writing. I trash 99% of the projects and don’t finish the other 1%; I save them as “ideas” for future development, but then when I open them up later, I hate them, and trash them as well.

I’m speaking of my own projects here, not ad or film projects.

There’s something good to be said about cover bands - you learn parts and don’t get stagnant, if all goes well.

I am in a creative rut of major proportions right now, even though I sit down and record a lot, I’m not happy with what I’m writing. I trash 99% of the projects and don’t finish the other 1%; I save them as “ideas” for future development, but then when I open them up later, I hate them, and trash them as well.

That’s when you need a new collaboration. Brainstorming has been my secret to business success for a long time and that technique keeps music fresh. I’ve gotten comfortable with being the lowest common denominator in these arrangements because it means I have the most growth potential. Convincing people much more talented than me to let me sit in is the challenge.

That’s when you need a new collaboration. Brainstorming has been my secret to business success for a long time and that technique keeps music fresh. I’ve gotten comfortable with being the lowest common denominator in these arrangements because it means I have the most growth potential. Convincing people much more talented than me to let me sit in is the challenge.

I felt exactly that way when I played a lot of tennis. Playing with better players got me better.

EDIT: On the other hand, playing with better football players would get me injured. So they kind of cancel out.

Last edited:
Upon further review...

Today after watching the Michigan-Maryland game, I got in some good practice time, and realized that it’s not so much a matter of which amp is my favorite, it’s which amp works best for me for a certain style of play. So if I’m spending more time in one style than another, it becomes my de facto favorite. Change the project, and I can be back to the other amp.

I guess I don’t have a #1.

(See, little HX/DA .... I told you not to worry)

More cowbell?

What changes your perspective? Do you need to read something, hear something, or do something totally different?

More cowbell?

What changes your perspective? Do you need to read something, hear something, or do something totally different?

What really does it for me is a clear head, no external worries or concerns taking up brain space.

I have a lot on my mind, and I think that’s the problem.

I just replaced my amp with a Line 6 HX Stomp. It was tough sledding initially, but it has grown on me. I'm really digging it now! I still need to organize my presets/snapshots; I'm twisting knobs like crazy at shows when I get to certain songs, and I can't find the preset I made for it! Most of our songs can be covered in 1 preset, but a few can really benefit from some extra attention to sounds.

My Mark III red stripe has been sitting unused upstairs for a little while. Been mostly using my Electra Dyne. Brought it down this afternoon, put it in the rack, and plugged my 594 into it for the first time...

:eek:

Just a killer high-gain tone. I had forgotten why I love this amp. My Mark IV is maybe a bit more flexible, but this Mark III is special. I kicked in some classic delay and reverb from an Eventide H3500 and Lexicon PCM80 ... and got lost.

I’ll resurface at some point. :)

In a rut? Change tunings. Works every time. It amazes me how just changing from open D to DADGAD can bring new sounds around. CGCGCD and CGDGCD yields similar results. I'm not speaking in acoustic terms, either.
Or pick up a slide. I suck with one, but it makes me look at things differently.

I just replaced my amp with a Line 6 HX Stomp. It was tough sledding initially, but it has grown on me. I'm really digging it now! I still need to organize my presets/snapshots; I'm twisting knobs like crazy at shows when I get to certain songs, and I can't find the preset I made for it! Most of our songs can be covered in 1 preset, but a few can really benefit from some extra attention to sounds.

I hear you, I backed up then deleted most of the stock presets, and then copied my favourites to a place where I can preset up/down between them

If you've not tried then yet, michael britts stomp pack is so good, and its open so can copy paste and modify. Its on holiday sale at his website

Back