Celestion vs Warehouse V30

BrianC

more toys than talent
I got a used PRS cab some time back that was loaded with non stock speakers. One Creamback H and one Warehouse Veteran 30.

The Veteran touts itself as being superior to the Celestion. I did a cab shoot out with Ryder here going through numerous cabs and speaker types. My cab mentioned above was the big loser.

I unhooked the Veteran and ran it with just the Creamback by itself and it killed. I decided to get a Celestion V30 which came and was installed yesterday.

It is a huge improvement. It is a different tone than two V30's. Maybe better maybe not - it depends on your preference. A tad darker and warmer than two V30's. All of this is of course side by side, A vs B. As a stand alone it will be perfectly fine for my "leave at band practice cab".

I’ve watched a ton of speaker “shootout” videos over the years and came to 3 conclusions:

1. While you may be some idea of which speaker is brighter or darker, you can’t get an accurate representation of the in-person sound of a speaker by watching videos. as @BrianC did here, you have to actually play them.
2. Whether in person or on video, axis from listener/mic to speaker makes a huge difference, so they need to be exactly the same.
3. I like what I like, and you like what you like... and it’s ok if we disagree. The internet struggles against that last point.

I still like reading posts like this one, a simple “this is how it worked for me” accounting. I was a big EV12S fan for a long time, but have really come to appreciate Celestions in the last 10-15 years. I do want to try a Creamback in one of my cabs, having heard pretty consistently good reviews of their tone. Thanks for the info!

Agree with Rick. I like reading these, but pay careful attention to what the person did or didn't like about it, and more importantly, what other equipment they used it with and what kind of tones they prefer.

That said, I have 3 version of Warehouse speakers now, 2 of them in cabs, one on the runway. The two I've used are both great. (ET65 and ET90).

Can't wait to get that 12L in the Thiele cab... believe it or not, the only reason it is not in there is it won't fit! I'm going to have to shave some wood off the speaker hole as it would not quite drop in. Warehouse and Mesa both replied to me that this shouldn't happen, but... it did.

ET65 in Zbest sounds GREAT! ET90 currently in PRS pine 2x12, sounds great, but is going in the Zbest with it's brother soon.

Can't wait to get that 12L in the Thiele cab... believe it or not, the only reason it is not in there is it won't fit! I'm going to have to shave some wood off the speaker hole as it would not quite drop in. Warehouse and Mesa both replied to me that this shouldn't happen, but... it did.
That is weird! Most Thiele 1x12s were variants of the EV TL806 cab plan, made specifically for the EV12L. I built 2 that I used live for years with the EV12S speakers mentioned earlier. Easy fit there with the speaker front-mounted (as per the design, though I don’t know if that has a audible effect). Does yours also drop in the baffle from the front?

Yes, both Mesa and Warehouse responded too me that it should drop right in. I sent both pics to show them that it didn't. I came with a Mesa Celestion 90, and currently has an Eminence EM12 (their version of 12L). It is a front mount cab. The EM12 just does not quite fit. I'm going to have to borrow a router or something and enlarge the speaker opening maybe 1/8" or so.

Also, came back to say in reference to my above post, I'm increasingly tiring of V30s. The spike is wearing thin on me. I have a Emi Redcoat Governor, and like it better than the V30s I have (3 versions). I've concluded that 2 V30s WILL NOT work for me in a cab, but one mixed with something else is much better. I had hoped the Warehouse variants of the V30 (they have two versions) would be more appealing to me as well, but haven't tried them yet.

The Veteran touts itself as being superior to the Celestion.
Ok, lunchtime. The Veteran touts itself as superior due to the taming of the V30 spike. If you like or want the spike, then the Retro would be the one to have.

I realize you bought the cab that way, just saying. So, what did you think of the speaker otherwise? Seems some people who don't like 2 V30s (Like me, TOO much spike) like the mix of the Veteran and Retro. But for other mixes, such as a Vet and an H, what you may be missing that you want, may be at least one speaker with the big V30 spike. Only speculating, as I'm not 100% sure of your tonal preferences. Which PRS cab did you get? Pine or Big Mouth? I have pine and I KNOW the Big Mouth would be better for me. Pine is so warm and with two V30s, it's just too much. Even putting the ET90 in it made it better, but I'm thinking it needs at least one H type to get rid of some mids. I wish Les or Alan (yes, you're on the list now too, buddy!) would just trade me their big mouth cab for my pine. :D

Huh... is that the open back? I have the pine open back, and with the stock V30’s found it too aggressive and sizzly. Think I’ve seen some closed versions though.
No, mine is closed back

Enjoying the Vet30 + ET65 combination in one of my Boogie vert 2x12s has been easy. Why? Because it’s not a traditional V30 solution. If I wanted that, I’d buy a Recto 2x12 and be done with it. But I don’t write off the V30 because the V30s in my PRS pine 2x12 are the perfect match...and doesn’t sound anything like a Recto 2x12! The Super Dallas would not have its signature personality without the pine 2x12.

Another surprise was the ET65 in my MkIII combo. Setting the amp up like a non-Boogie (cranked master, low volume, class A mode) with that speaker in a classic rock cover band situation was awesome. I just couldn’t use it in many of the venues we played without getting kicked out. Reveal: if I didn’t get asked to turn down at least once a night, I was failing at my job.

No, mine is closed back

The Big Mouth cab is tonally similar (not identical, similar) to the traditional size Mesa Recto 212, if you need a different type of cab. I've had several of the Recto cabs. So there's that.

My new favorite speaker is the Jensen Blackbird Alnico 12. It's bright, clear, and lovely. Not spiky. Really improved the tone of my Fillmore, though obviously that's a different type of match.

Ok it been about a week with the new combination of Creamback H and Celestion V30. I am SO much happier now! Its like I went out and spent a bundle on a new cab - I got all the excitement and thrill for just the cost of the switch.

That's great!

A while back I had a Bogner cab that came stock with one of the older H models and a Greenback. It was my first experience with a cab that combined two different speakers, and it was great sounding.

Back