Celestion V30's in the PRS Stealth 4x12 question

TedintheShed

The description states "Speaker(s): Celestion Modified Vintage 30" are what is loaded in these cabinets- how are they modified? Are the broken in?

Thanks,
Ted

If they are stock, they had a special doping and other rumored mods (perhaps different dust cover, or such). They we’re all Chinese made but I like them in the 2x12s very well. Can’t imagine they’d suck in a 4x12. PRS cabs are very well made and well worth the price alone. You can always buy more speakers.

PRS, to my knowledge, never pre broke-in any speakers.

I had an Archon, but ended up trading it for a once in a life time deal. It never had the PRS cab though.

Now I have a Mesa MWDR and I need a cab for it. I have an EVH 2x12 but I want a 4x12 I think.

If they are stock, they had a special doping and other rumored mods (perhaps different dust cover, or such). They we’re all Chinese made but I like them in the 2x12s very well. Can’t imagine they’d suck in a 4x12. PRS cabs are very well made and well worth the price alone. You can always buy more speakers.

PRS, to my knowledge, never pre broke-in any speakers.
I had the Stealth 2x12 cabinet and was told the modification was the with the speaker doping. Certainly sounded better than any other V30 speaker I’ve played.

If they are stock, they had a special doping and other rumored mods (perhaps different dust cover, or such).

The special doping makes them sound especially good with psychedelic music. ;)

“Yawn. Not funny.”

“Well, I tried. The point is to try, right?”

“No, the point is to be funny, which you failed at.”

“I’ll do better next time, I promise.”

I had the Stealth 2x12 cabinet and was told the modification was the with the speaker doping. Certainly sounded better than any other V30 speaker I’ve played.
The British Mesa/Boogie V30 is still king, IMO, but the version in the 2x12 pine cabs are great. It was the first V30-based cab I liked for non-Rectifier applications and is the secret ingredient to snagging the early DG tone (before the DG amp).

The special doping makes them sound especially good with psychedelic music. ;)

“Yawn. Not funny.”

“Well, I tried. The point is to try, right?”

“No, the point is to be funny, which you failed at.”

“I’ll do better next time, I promise.”
I was sorely disappointed when I ordered the SuperPot for my Vela. The only thing in the little baggy was a volume control. :rolleyes:

I always read about these modified V30s, but all my V30s sound killer in any of my cabs. My Bogner cab has Chinese V30/K100 and sounds huge, tight, smooth and thick. No issues at all.
My Splawn 412 has an English V30 and a Mesa UK V30 along with two Redbacks. Brutal combination. Before that I had two China V30s that sounded just as good. In a band or jam setting, the differences are so minor, I don't care. One of thr best cabs I've heard in my life was a brand new Orange with China V30s.

That said, I'd like to try a PRS cab. But I don't believe in spending a lot of cabs. I've had so many from Bogner to Mesa to Splawn to Egnater and they are all so similar, other than speaker differences.

PRS makes a mould-breaking cab with V30s...the pine 2x12. It’s the farthest thing from “another 2x12 with V30s” sound I’ve ever experienced. I was so skeptical, but I wanted the matched cab to my Super Dallas and I’d heard what it could do at EXP. Blown. A. Way! Seriously. It is just not the same animal as a Mesa/Orange/Bogner, etc. Those all sound great in the right application, but the pine 2x12 is in a league of its own.

PRS makes a mould-breaking cab with V30s...the pine 2x12. It’s the farthest thing from “another 2x12 with V30s” sound I’ve ever experienced. I was so skeptical, but I wanted the matched cab to my Super Dallas and I’d heard what it could do at EXP. Blown. A. Way! Seriously. It is just not the same animal as a Mesa/Orange/Bogner, etc. Those all sound great in the right application, but the pine 2x12 is in a league of its own.

I can confirm what Boogie is saying.

PRS' pine cabs, whether the closed-back (if you can still find one, I don't think they're made any more), or the Grissom ported 212, that's definitely still made, are fantastic cabs.

Not only do they warm the tone up, they're much lighter weight than a comparable Birch cab.

Last edited:
The description states "Speaker(s): Celestion Modified Vintage 30" are what is loaded in these cabinets- how are they modified? Are the broken in?

Thanks,
Ted

So I talked to this guy this one time... and he told me a couple of things. One thing he said to me was that PRS had gotten "Vintage 30" speakers from two different sources, Celestion and Warehouse Guitar Speakers. Then he said that they "modified" the speakers by removing that rubber gasket around the front edge of the cone housing where the loudspeaker bolts up to the inside of the cabinet. The purpose for this was to make sure that the vibration of the speaker was transferred in to the cabinet in the interest of tone. At the time, we were talking about the reason PRS was using pine in their cabinets when he got into the details of the speakers. I've got to imagine though that they would do the same thing in the 4x12 cabinets too.

Can’t confirm, but the birch 4x12 wasn’t approached in the same way as the pine 2x12. I saw WGS, Celestion and a bunch of other brands on racks at PRS’ amp department several years ago and would assume they mix and match as desired. Doug and Paul had lots of little tricks to improve resonance in certain cabs and I heard your rumor more than once. All I know is he pine 2x12 is stunning and would imagine the 4x12 is a blast, too.

In addition to the Pine DG cab, I have the now-discontinued Big Mouth deep 212; it's roughly as deep as a Mesa Recto, maybe a bit taller (I don't have a Recto cab currently to compare them). However, it's a terrific cab, and I prefer it to the Recto (which I originally used with my HXDA)..

It sounds like it's loaded with V-30s, but I haven't unscrewed the back of the cab to find out (and I'm not gonna, because whatever's in there is fine with me, and I just don't feel like disassembling my main studio rig). I use it with my HXDA, and it's a really good match. If one or both are WGS or whatever else, I'm fine with that. Sounds good = is good.

Back