Celestion alnico

gush

Where is that speedo pic
Have any of you loaded a 4x12 cab with alnico celestions?

Just curious if anybody has and had good results.

Last edited:
I have a cab with Alnico Blues that sounds glorious. What I need to find are two 8 ohm blues for my AC30... I used to have a 2x12 with Alnico Golds, and it was indeed impressive. Another “should have kept that one” story.

Other than YouTube videos, I haven’t heard the Cream or Ruby Alnico speakers. I’d love to try them, though, and I’ll be interested to read replies to this thread about them.

I have a cab with Alnico Blues that sounds glorious. What I need to find are two 8 ohm blues for my AC30... I used to have a 2x12 with Alnico Golds, and it was indeed impressive. Another “should have kept that one” story.

Other than YouTube videos, I haven’t heard the Cream or Ruby Alnico speakers. I’d love to try them, though, and I’ll be interested to read replies to this thread about them.

I put a Cream and Ruby in my PRS paisley 2x12, and it sounds GLORIOUS. They compliment each other perfectly - the Cream is reserved in the lows, has a bit more treble, while the Ruby has more low and low mid, but also sneaks in a subtle bit of tippy top end zing. Together, they have that Alnico grind, but the midrange push is broader and less laser focused than individual types of Alnico speakers on their own. Very balanced, yet soulful character. I’m not saying it’s the best thing ever, but it’s the best cab I’ve ever played, for sure.

I would play the Cream on its own, depending on the amp, but the Ruby really needs a friend.

I would play the Cream on its own, depending on the amp, but the Ruby really needs a friend.
I have read that the Ruby was best in amps that needed to be brightened up, so that does make sense! I hated to admit it, but other than that Avatar cab with the Golds, I never even tried the Celestion Alnico speakers until recently, and was very impressed with the Blues on several low-mid wattage amps like the Deluxe Reverb and, of course, the AC30TB. Damned expensive, but it is a uniquely identifiable sound!

I have a Celestion Alnico Blue in my 5E3 and, to my ears, sounds chimey at lower volumes but easily pushes into the thick overdrive sound of a tweed at higher volumes.. I had tried a few other options before but this one is definitely staying in the combo

The Cream is my favorite all time speaker. Using it in a Forte 3D type cabinet works best of what I have tried.....Sort of a best of open and closed back thing. A single 1 x 12 sounds 3 feet tall and 5 feet wide. I will admit that I like even more two 1 x12s stacked, the lower one with an EVM-12. When I made a 2 x 12, I internally separated the two enclosures so they would each better maintain their own sound.

Original Fortes are hard to find. I "reverse engineered" to make my own. They also work great in a 2 x 10, 2 x 12 and even 1 x 15. I sorta got carried away.....

The Cream is my favorite all time speaker. Using it in a Forte 3D type cabinet works best of what I have tried.....Sort of a best of open and closed back thing. A single 1 x 12 sounds 3 feet tall and 5 feet wide. I will admit that I like even more two 1 x12s stacked, the lower one with an EVM-12. When I made a 2 x 12, I internally separated the two enclosures so they would each better maintain their own sound.

Original Fortes are hard to find. I "reverse engineered" to make my own. They also work great in a 2 x 10, 2 x 12 and even 1 x 15. I sorta got carried away.....

I have to agree. The Cream alnico has become my favorite speaker for a few years now. Haven’t found an amp that doesn’t work with it yet.

I have one in a forte style 1x12 too. Mine was built by Cutthroat Audio. I think Avatar clines it too. I have cream alnicos in a few cabs, but this is my go to.

Back