What would you choose CE24 or Custom 24-08?

• CE24

Votes: 8 28.6%
  • Custom 24-02

Votes: 19 67.9%
  • Other

Votes: 1 3.6%

• Total voters

pauloqs

PRS McCarty
hi,

I’ve owned 2 CE24 which I ended up returning. I believe I was unlucky with my previous two CE24s. The guitars felt absolutely amazing and sounded amazing, but had a few issues that I do not believe is the norm with these guitars. I’m willing to give it another go with the CE24. However, I’m torn between the CE24 and the Custom 24-08.

I own way too many Les Paul’s, an SG, a Tele, a Godin and my favorite depending on the day a PRS McCarty (the regular one, not the 594).

Pros of the CE24:
  • I like the feel of the CE24 better, but only very marginally,
  • Lower price,
  • The punchier tone from the maple neck on the CE24 differentiates istself more relative to the guitars I already own.
Pros of the CU24-08:
  • Looks (fancier birds, deeper carve, recess around the knobs and mini toggle)
  • More tonal options (8 on the CU24-08 > 6 on the CE24 & McCarty > 5 on the regular CU24)
  • I like the rounder and warmer tone on the CU24-08 marginally better than the CE24
My budget allows me to afford either one, however, I don’t feel like I have to spend my entire budget. I play mostly (dad) Rock, Blues and Jazz. I’ve played both and I’m having a hard time deciding. What you you do if you were in my place? I know guitars are very personal, but maybe someone mentions something that I’d agree with that would break the deadlock. Thank you

24-08 for the versatility. Also, some WL 24-08s do come with maple necks.

Custom 24-08 easily the better guitar and not just because it has more tonal options. I much prefer a set neck to a bolt on.

Cast my vote.... 24-08. But Sergio makes a great point. When it comes to CE’s, the older ones with the Alder back wood bodies sound best. My 2-cents.

Custom 24-08 easily the better guitar and not just because it has more tonal options. I much prefer a set neck to a bolt on.

My answer in full.

I would generally agree, except when it comes to the way PRS implements bolt on the CE24s. In terms of sustain, it’s on equal pegging with the Custom 24/22. The CE24 just sound a bit snappier and I’m not entirely convinced the bolt on is the main contributor to the added snap and clarity. Some will partly attribute to the maple neck, which is a harder wood than mahogany, and the steel bridge block as opposed to the brass block found on the core line. Personally, if I were to make the choice today between a regular CU24 and a CE24, I’d probably go with the CE24. I much prefer the McCarty wiring over the 5-way blade switch on the regular CU24 and don’t even get me started with the rotary switch. Also, even though positions 2 and 4 on a regular CU24 are very musical, I much prefer having the options provided with the McCarty switching. That together with the feel and the workhorse utilitarian vibe of the CE24 just makes me choose it over a regular CU24. Then comes the Custom 24-08 which is what I believe the Custom 24 should always have been and now I can’t make my mind up.

My main complaint about my Custom 24 is the location of the 5 way switch. To reach it you need to go through the whammy bar, which is ergonomically stupid.

I much prefer the 3 way position used on the McCarty/CE24.

That said, my second complaint about my Custom 24 is the lack of single coil tones built into it, which the 24/08 solves. Although I have a preference for the ergonomics of the traditional PRS switch location as gigging player I’d probably opt for the versatility of the 24/08.

Or, you could do what I’m doing and not buy anything until PRS makes a Core Custom 24 with the switch in the right place again.

My main complaint about my Custom 24 is the location of the 5 way switch. To reach it you need to go through the whammy bar, which is ergonomically stupid.

That said, my second complaint about my Custom 24 is the lack of single coil tones built into it, which the 24/08 solves. Although I have a preference for the ergonomics of the traditional PRS switch location as gigging player I’d probably opt for the versatility of the 24/08.

Or, you could do what I’m doing and not buy anything until PRS makes a Core Custom 24 with the switch in the right place again.
Buyone with McCarty switching and add push pull to volume pot. 2408 switching.

I would generally agree, except when it comes to the way PRS implements bolt on the CE24s. In terms of sustain, it’s on equal pegging with the Custom 24/22. The CE24 just sound a bit snappier and I’m not entirely convinced the bolt on is the main contributor to the added snap and clarity. Some will partly attribute to the maple neck, which is a harder wood than mahogany, and the steel bridge block as opposed to the brass block found on the core line. Personally, if I were to make the choice today between a regular CU24 and a CE24, I’d probably go with the CE24. I much prefer the McCarty wiring over the 5-way blade switch on the regular CU24 and don’t even get me started with the rotary switch. Also, even though positions 2 and 4 on a regular CU24 are very musical, I much prefer having the options provided with the McCarty switching. That together with the feel and the workhorse utilitarian vibe of the CE24 just makes me choose it over a regular CU24. Then comes the Custom 24-08 which is what I believe the Custom 24 should always have been and now I can’t make my mind up.

And that's another set of reasons why I prefer the Core models. I much prefer the warmth and depth of the core models without being so bright. I absolute hate ice-picky brights and much prefer fuller warmer tones.

I guess that if you prefer more 'stratty' type sounds you go for the CE24 and if you prefer the warmer fuller tones, go for the Cu24. Both guitars are well built and will serve the OP well so its up to them to decide which model they prefer the tones of.

I do find these type of polls somewhat odd. They are asking which Guitars we would buy based on our preference rather than going out and seeing which guitar suits their preference. Its their money, they are the ones having to live with that decision, they are the ones that will be playing it. If the majority of us prefer the core Custom 24 but the OP prefers the tone of the CE24, will they go and buy a core?

I know Bryan Ewald prefers the CE24 because he was more of a Strat player before joining PRS where I was more of a Les Paul Player before I got into PRS and that's why I prefer the Core Custom 24 and why I own one.

At the end of the day, both guitars are different enough that the OP should decide for themselves which guitar suits them better. If they prefer the CE24 then it isn't worth spending the extra to get the core model. If they have the money for a core, and prefer the tones of the core then its worth spending the extra on.

Having not played the 24-08, I think the question is simple. Do you want the punch of a CE, or the rounded sound of the Custom, which may be closer to the les Paul's you already have?
I'm a big fan of older used CEs as well. Nothing really spoke to me in the PRS lineup 10-12 years ago until I picked up the "lowly" CE!

I actually prefer the tone of the Custom 24, but the feel of the CE24. That’s the best neck I ever played. I wouldn’t call the CE24 ice picky, but definitely brighter than the CU24. My dream PRS would be a McCarty with a pattern thin neck profile, body width of a custom and no fretboard binding.

That sh!t drives me crazy. It’s aesthetically pleasing to look at but tough to get around on.

Easy choice.....Santana

Always the correct answer.

I actually prefer the tone of the Custom 24, but the feel of the CE24. That’s the best neck I ever played. I wouldn’t call the CE24 ice picky, but definitely brighter than the CU24. My dream PRS would be a McCarty with a pattern thin neck profile, body width of a custom and no fretboard binding.

You just described a used Custom 22 Stoptail. Most had wide/fat necks but but some were wide/thin.

If it still has the 5 way rotary PRS sells a drop in that’ll convert it to McCarty switching.

You just described a used Custom 22 Stoptail. Most had wide/fat necks but but some were wide/thin.

If it still has the 5 way rotary PRS sells a drop in that’ll convert it to McCarty switching.

Thank you, that's a great suggestion. They seem super hard to find, though.

Back