CE24 Semi Hollow Trem Rattle

shiblet80

Hello, newer member to the PRS family. Loving it so far.

So, I recently purchased a brand new CE24 Semi Hollow and noticed a rattle coming from the hole where the trem arm is normally inserted. The rattle disappears when I plug the trem arm in. I only noticed this when playing the B string on the 16th fret.

I’m not sure if anyone has encountered this or has any tips but I would love to not always have to play with the trem arm in as I don’t really use it.

Thanks!

Probably the resonant frequency of the plastic bushing that holds the trem arm in place.
Interesting, thank you. I see the plastic bushing in there. I wonder if there are any crafty ways to remedy it without screwing anything up.

It may be that the bushing is rattling against the set screw. You can tighten the screw slightly and see if you can butt it against the bushing without affecting how tight the bar is.

It may be that the bushing is rattling against the set screw. You can tighten the screw slightly and see if you can butt it against the bushing without affecting how tight the bar is.

Thank you for the advice! So I gave this a shot and tightened the screw a bit against the bushing but unfortunately it didn’t work out. Let me know if you have any other ideas. Otherwise, I may just take it back to the luthier I had swap in my 57/08 pups and see if he can take a look.

Thanks again!

The bar is adding mass to the bridge and might be keeping whatever is making the sound from vibrating as much.
The metal braided pushback style wire used in the electronics pass about under that area to the output jack. My Custom 22 has a piece of plastic insulation leading to the jack to possibly counter that vibration. Yours may have moved during the pickup install or a wire might be making slight contact with body or bridge if anything moved.

Other random thought. If its just on the B string I would try changing that string to be sure it isnt something weird like the ball end vibrating.

The bar is adding mass to the bridge and might be keeping whatever is making the sound from vibrating as much.
The metal braided pushback style wire used in the electronics pass about under that area to the output jack. My Custom 22 has a piece of plastic insulation leading to the jack to possibly counter that vibration. Yours may have moved during the pickup install or a wire might be making slight contact with body or bridge if anything moved.

Other random thought. If its just on the B string I would try changing that string to be sure it isnt something weird like the ball end vibrating.

Thank you for taking the time to reply. These are all good thoughts that I will look into. Luckily when I’m plugged into my amp I don’t hear it impacting the tone at all.

Yeah where the trem arm drops in is a pretty tight fitting cup with not much to vibrate. Are all of those 6 screws that the bridge edge sits on at the same height?
My bet is one of the wires. Sounds weird but I would shake the guitar and see if you cant nudge a wire away from the upper portion of the cavity if you dont have access through a control plate to just rearrange their position.

Back