CE24 Satin Grey Black Flame Maple arrived today!

Mike D

My brand new (to me) 2016 CE24 arrived today. It is incredible!

The body and neck resonates in my hands more than I expected. Compared to my American strat, I hear the mahogany acoustically. Plugged in, this is night and day different from my Stratocaster. I took pics to share with you, but that seems to require extra steps I'm not familiar with.

The action seems high, but it did ship from California to Illinois. It was literally freezing cold when I got it. The bridge took a long time to stop showing condensation. Do you have any advice on setting the action if it is still high after a day to get rehumidified and settled? The bridge is level and it looks like it may have been played very little. The only signs of wear are some belt scratches on the back spring cover and what looks like a greasy finger make on the satin finish. Any advice on cleaning the satin finish?

The pickups sounds incredibly nice and even. They are crystal clear and way hotter than the DiMarzio anniversary PAFs in my strat.

Thank you,
Mike

Are there any signs of damage from the cold I should look for before my window to return is closed?

Are there any signs of damage from the cold I should look for before my window to return is closed?
Just being cold won’t hurt it. Moisture can condense on it if you open the case right away and string tension will change with extreme temperature, but nothing I would consider damage.

If it had been soaking in the bathtub before being shipped it might be a different story.

The action was high on mine too, that I just got yesterday. Changed the strings and set it up and wow, very great guitar. Love it.

You'll likely need a truss rod adjustment once the guitar stabilizes to room temperature and based on prior experience with my CE 24, you'll definitely need to lower the saddles on the bridge to bring the action down. You should not need to lower the bridge to the body using the philips head knife-edge mounting screws, likely just the individual string saddles using an allen key.

If you aren't used to making these adjustments you might want to have a friend or local shop help you out.

Also - pics and congrats!

You'll likely need a truss rod adjustment once the guitar stabilizes to room temperature and based on prior experience with my CE 24, you'll definitely need to lower the saddles on the bridge to bring the action down. You should not need to lower the bridge to the body using the philips head knife-edge mounting screws, likely just the individual string saddles using an allen key.

If you aren't used to making these adjustments you might want to have a friend or local shop help you out.

Also - pics and congrats!
Exactly what I did. Tightened the truss a bit and lowered the bridge saddles.

OP when it ships in this kind of cold you supposed to wait a bit to open the box, opening it in stages over 24 hours but I guess if everything is in tact youre fine...

OP when it ships in this kind of cold you supposed to wait a bit to open the box, opening it in stages over 24 hours but I guess if everything is in tact youre fine...

Let's be honest... the excitement of getting you new PRS... nobody would be able to wait to open the box!

With regards to the action being high; I believe that is 'the norm' for PRS. I know when I got mine, the action was high.
I didn't adjust it lower, I just started playing and got used to it... I like it higher now. Zero fret buzz.

Mine came with the action high also. If I remember right, I lowered my saddles one complete round of the Allen wrench on each saddle. I’m pretty sure I did the same with my Vela.

Back