CE24 Questions

CantankerousCarl

Occasionally Onery Member
Just scored a 1990 CE24, all original. Sounds AMAZING even though it really needs a setup. Questions:

1) I'm pretty sure it's an alder body, definitely 3 piece, has a figured maple top. Were all CE's alder around this time? How can I tell?
2) Did any CEs have Brazilian boards around this time? If so, how can I tell if this one does?
3) Dot inlays are solid circles, not moons. Is that normal?

Thanks.

Awesome! My favorite guitar of all time!

Yes it is an alder body, PRS did not switch to mahogany until Aug. of 94. (so says "The PRS Book") Yank a pickup of the neck and have a look.

No brazilian boards were used on CE's.

Dot inlays are not only normal, but they sound better. (says me)

Can't wait for pictures!

Thanks Sergio - pics coming this weekend. Do you know about the pots as well? Can't read the capacitor label on the volume pot, but the tone pot is 250K / 0.022. Is that OE spec? I thought most PRS are 500K, but I am not the "electronics guy."

I am going to defer to the "electronics guys" for the tone pot, (I always tear them out and replace them with a sour-switch) but I recall being told about 500k pots every time I have to replace mine. (I am on my third) Anything goes when buying a previously loved guitar, and people are less shy about modding CE's in general, so I could not tell you with certainty about your new guitar.

The CE model has had quite a diverse evolution in its time of production, so making a blanket declaration about their features is somewhat difficult, except they all have a different attack from the set necks.

I am curious to see if your guitar has a different pick up voicing in it's 9 position (or the one right after the bridge hum bucker) and has the power out of phase setting, may I also be nosey enough to ask you what color you have coming?

I'm not 100% sure but I thought that all US made PRSi come with 500K pots. My CE24 has 500K and if you look at the PRS shop, the replacement pots they sell there are 500K as well, no 250s. So my guess would be 500K is stock now. I bet the guys at the PTC could tell you if that is true for a 1990 PRSi. Just shoot them an email, they are very helpful.

I may be being stoopid...the orange capacitor has 250 mkt / 0.022k on on it. I didn't see any specs on the pot itself. Do those specs refer only to the capacitor?

Anyway, Sergio, running through the positions on the CE, it sounds comparable (but brighter and more aggressive) than my STD24 across the positions. 9 and 7 have always been my favorites. Not sure how good my ear is, but I would say that my CE 9 sounds as I would expect it to as compared to my STD 9.

Color-wise, I think it's a vintage or amber burst...amber in the center, the horns are an orange-ish red, the back is redder. Looks exactly like I think it should :)

slev - I will indeed email support, they have been great. I think, however, that I learned my lesson from my recent used 1992 CST24 "aborted purchase." I wasn't happy with the sound of that one from day 1, and I spent a month trying to figure out what was "wrong" or "non-original" with it. It went back.

This CE sounds and feels amazing, and they will pry it from my cold, dead hands...hopefully many many years down the line. It's a keeper.

Cantankerous, out.

Ah yes, another satisfied early CE-24 owner and I didn't have to do my spiel. My work is done here.......

Hey, enjoy that CE!!!!!

Back