CE24 new pickups

Trigger

Hello,

Im trying to install some new Lambertone pickups into my 2017 CE24. I got the 4 wiring option to be able to coil tap using the existing PRS push pull. I'm not very familiar with push/pull wiring and I'm running into several snags. Below is how I have the wiring set up working with the original wiring along with a link to the original wiring guide.

- Black & Bare wires to the volume pot as a ground
- Green Wires to Selector Switch (replacing original PRS black wire)
- Red & Wire Tied together and solder to tone pot (replacing original PRS white wire)

https://www.prsguitars.com/documents/prs_ce24_wiring_schematic.pdf

With this wiring setup in mind here are my issues I'm facing.

1. The neck pickup has almost no output when in the middle position and I can still hear it when in the bridge position. It sounds perfectly fine in the Neck position however.
2. Phasing issues. I understand that the CE24 pickups are reverse wound which caused some issues with the phase. The jumper cable from the neck selector to the tone pot (see 2nd attachment) seemed to have fixed that issue.
3. When in coil tap position the guitar seems to ignore whatever selector position I'm in and doesnt truly sound like its being tapped/split.

I would greatly appreciate some guidance as I've been trying for weeks to get these pickups to work and I'm on the verge of replacing all the PRS hardware with new ones.

You’re going to want to follow the wiring schematic from your pick up provider. The PRS pickups don’t follow the same color convention, so the PRS wiring diagram likely won’t get you the right colors to the right spot. Hopefully @garrett will chime in.

If you can't find the colour codes from the pickup maker, email them and ask. It will help once you've identified the correct wires to re-draw the PRS diagram but with the correct coding so you don't get confused again. I ran into that trouble halfway through a job once

If you can't find the colour codes from the pickup maker, email them and ask. It will help once you've identified the correct wires to re-draw the PRS diagram but with the correct coding so you don't get confused again. I ran into that trouble halfway through a job once

The color code should be: Green = Hot, Red & White for Coil Split, Black & Bare = Ground

You’re going to want to follow the wiring schematic from your pick up provider. The PRS pickups don’t follow the same color convention, so the PRS wiring diagram likely won’t get you the right colors to the right spot. Hopefully @garrett will chime in.

@garrett are you able to assist? :)

I just checked, and the diagram is on the Lambertone website
I've had the diagram however PRS wiring is backwards compared to what normal wiring would be. All the issues in my original post are due to the original PRS wiring and me not knowing how to compensate.

The color code should be: Green = Hot, Red & White for Coil Split, Black & Bare = Ground

If those colors are correct, you seem to have them going to the right places.

I don't think the issues you describe have anything to do with the PRS components or pickups. I recommend double checking the wire codes with the maker and also recheck all your soldering work to make sure the joints are good, everything is where it is supposed to be, and nothing is touching anything it shouldn't be.

I've had the diagram however PRS wiring is backwards compared to what normal wiring would be. All the issues in my original post are due to the original PRS wiring and me not knowing how to compensate.
Don't try to combine the schematics. Try to just follow the Lambertone drawings. You may be overthinking it. The pickup manufacturers drawings seem good. I usually prefer to start with new pots if I can, but, not always needed.

Heres the wiring diagram from Lambertones for the Crema pickups.
4-wire Conductor.
Want to utilize a push/pull pot, split the coils for in-between positions, or combining with other manufacturers pickups? The 4-wire gives you freedom to do that.
  • For standard "humbucking" mode just twist the white/red wires together and solder, tape off or use shrink wrap, then run the Green signal wire to the switch and the Black & braided ground wires to the back of your volume pot.
  • To split the coil(s), solder the white/red wires wires together and to your push/pull pot by following your push/pull manufacturers instructions.

Back