CE24 neck problem:

merciful-evans

Portsmouth uk
I bought the CE24 Reclaimed Wood in April this year. Once home I noticed a neck twist (the wrong way) showing more relief at the wound string side than the small string side. Its a minor problem but it bugged me because I knew it would never adjust as nicely (set up action) as my other guitars.

I've been aware of some fret buzz lately, so I examined the neck to find it had settled virtually straight. So I decided to adjust the truss rod to add some relief. To my dismay I find the truss rod is already completely slackened off ! There is no adjustment.

I have just called the shop (Authorised PRS dealer) I bought it from to arrange a return visit.

I've never encountered a problem like this before in 48 years of playing.

If the neck is twisted it's not a matter of truss rod i'm afraid...
Oh I know.

After speaking to Guitar Village yesterday I decided to get the neck twist addressed. Its never stopped bugging me. That should mean invoking the warranty. The thing is, if the neck is replaced, PRS probably wont have the fingerboard reclaimed wood. I really do not want a rosewood replacement.

Oh I know.

After speaking to Guitar Village yesterday I decided to get the neck twist addressed. Its never stopped bugging me. That should mean invoking the warranty. The thing is, if the neck is replaced, PRS probably wont have the fingerboard reclaimed wood. I really do not want a rosewood replacement.

See Michael’s video, I think it’s on you tube, there was a veritable stock pile of timber!

Well if it's not too much twisted i think a good luthier is just going to level it.
But i hope that is something that the warranty covers if you bought it brand new.

I posted here yesterday but something must have gone wrong. ?!

So once again...

Yesterday morning I took the CE24 to Guitar Village in Farnham and they have it now. They will send it on to PRS Centre uk (uk & eu) for evaluation. It is covered both by warranty and their own 1 year cover.

Hopefully both problems will be dealt with and rectified. Fingers crossed!

I posted here yesterday but something must have gone wrong. ?!

So once again...

Yesterday morning I took the CE24 to Guitar Village in Farnham and they have it now. They will send it on to PRS Centre uk (uk & eu) for evaluation. It is covered both by warranty and their own 1 year cover.

Hopefully both problems will be dealt with and rectified. Fingers crossed!

I’m sure PRS will want to resolve this to your satisfaction!

If you haven’t already, check out the amazing job that they did with @windsongstudios ”aurora borealis” guitar of wonderment!

Sending you positive vibes!

FWIW I have noticed on all sorts of guitars and basses, including PRS, that there is very slightly less relief on the treble side of the neck compared to the bass side... I think that's just going to happen no matter what, unless you have two rods like a Rick or you've got an extra stiff multi piece.

The tension is not the same across the strings after all

An actual twist is an issue though and that sucks, I hope they fix it. The easiest way would be to level the board and refret it rather than build a new neck

FWIW I have noticed on all sorts of guitars and basses, including PRS, that there is very slightly less relief on the treble side of the neck compared to the bass side... I think that's just going to happen no matter what, unless you have two rods like a Rick or you've got an extra stiff multi piece.

The tension is not the same across the strings after all

An actual twist is an issue though and that sucks, I hope they fix it. The easiest way would be to level the board and refret it rather than build a new neck
Yes most of my guitars have the less relief on treble side. This is a good thing as the heavier strings have more amplitude so need that extra room to vibrate. I think it works out because the wound strings exert more pull on that side.

The problem with my CE24 is that this is the other way around with almost no relief at bass side and more relief on treble side. The additional problem of course is that the truss rod is not working. The nut spins freely on the spline.

Odd that neither of these things were noticed at QC check at PRS.

PS
Rics: Yes I have a Ric also and the 2 trussrods allow for precise adjustment.

update: And good news

Had a call from Mark at Guitar Village. PRS have confirmed that the neck is twisted and have requested replacement from USA. The
newly built neck on its way to UK now.

That's a good result and a much quicker turnaround than I was expecting. It should be available to collect next week. :)

Lucky its a bolt on neck

Ok, so I got the call yesterday, my CE24 Reclaimed is back in store from PRS with its brand new neck. I collected it this morning. I arrived at around 11am and checked it out. The new neck is almost straight with a minimal amount of extra relief relief on the wound E side. Just exactly as it should be. The fit is perfectly aligned with a smidge more space at the treble side.

The truss rod works of course too. Once home I added a third of a turn more relief and adjusted the saddle heights how I like them. I stretched out the new strings and played for some 90 minutes. This is much better. I then plugged in the SE C24 to compare. They feel and sound a little different of course, but the new CE neck now handles just as well.

Well done PRS. This is an impressive warranty response.

Guitar Village (who handled/mediated) is having it annual sale on now (last day) so I had to look over a couple of guitars before I left. The beautiful blue C24 I had admired for the last year was 25% reduced, and I finally got to play a Silver Sky (no reduction there though).

A good day out. I will likely use the CE at my next gig a few days hence. :)

Back